Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a4cab03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend offering to buy an iMac 27 for my birthday. The thing is I already have a MPB 13" and would rather have an ACD 27 to use with my MBP. The current ACD 24 is too small for my needs. The ACD 30" is outdated and doesn't work well with the Mini DP to DVI adapter.

What do you guys think?

How much cheaper the ACD 27 would be compared to the base iMac 27?

Any "guesstimate" on when the ACD 27 would be out?

kenobe23

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend offering to buy an iMac 27 for my birthday. The thing is I already have a MPB 13" and would rather have an ACD 27 to use with my MBP. The current ACD 24 is too small for my needs. The ACD 30" is outdated and doesn't work well with the Mini DP to DVI adapter.

What do you guys think?

How much cheaper the ACD 27 would be compared to the base iMac 27?

Any "guesstimate" on when the ACD 27 would be out?

I'm not going to look it up (that's your job,) but isn't the iMac only about $100 more than the display? And you get a computer too, not just a monitor.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, that would be my view, also. And you'll still be able to connect your MBP to it.

But then there's the issue with the "yellow" screens to consider... I've never seen a bad iMac27 myself, and I know that opinion on the frequency and severity of the issue is divided... still, something to think about.

Alexgui

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
The current 27 inch iMac($1700) is approximately twice as much as the 24-inch cinema display($900). I think that Apple would charge $200-$300 more for a 27 inch LED display, all on its own. However, I'm not sure that they'll release a 27 inch LED display.

It's difficult to give an accurate answer; Apple may reduce the price on their LED displays because the technology is starting to become more and more common. So, the case may be that the 27 inch LED display will replace the current 24 inch one in terms of price. Again, it's up in the air

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Please, please, please don't hold out and wait for a new acd, Apple is extremely lazy about them and updates them at random times. If you really want a monitor, get that Dell 27" one that uses the same panel as the iMac. Otherwise, enjoy an iMac you didn't have to buy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.