Buying a battery for my MB in the future

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spitfyre, Jun 15, 2009.

1. spitfyre macrumors newbie

So, these long lasting batteries for the new MBPs are making me jealous.

I have one of the "Collectors Item" MBs. I haven't been thrilled with the battery life (who really gets 5 hours?) I'm wondering about what options there will be in the next few years in terms of replacing the battery.

I know that I can't replace it with one of the non-user replaceable ones or anything like that. But I am wondering if there are options out there, that have better life than the one I got with the computer. Are there going to be more efficient batteries that will fit in my MB or has the technology just moved on to whatever this new type of battery is?

Obviously, I don't know anything about batteries. :eek:

Thank you.

2. Zafeer macrumors newbie

I would like to know the same... will apple or a third party perhaps come out with a longer lasting battery for the unibody macbook?

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Apple and third party manufacturers will likely continue to provide replacement batteries for the Alu Macbooks for the foreseeable future. As long as the computers are out there, someone will be willing to make money off of them. So i do not think you will need to worry about finding replacement batteries, as eBay always has a plethora of third party vendors looking to make a buck...

Saying that...It's also highly unlikely that you will see a "revised" battery with improved battery life. It's not that it's impossible, it's just not financially solvent. Developing any sort of technology for legacy products just doesn't make sense. It's expensive and your user base is only getting smaller. I don't think many apple products have had revised or "extended" batteries developed for them outside of third party attachments such as the HyperMac.

I still think that getting anywhere near 5 hours of battery life out of a laptop is amazing. I just can't wrap my head around these 8 hour claims. As they always say, if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.