Buying a battery off eBay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jblack4083, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

My MBP battery is absolutely screwed. I'm at 158 cycles and 36% health. It's out of warranty. I already tried taking it up with Apple.

I honestly don't want to pay the Apple premium for a battery so I checked eBay and they advertise these "genuine" Apple batteries. I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with the legitimacy of this claim and if it's a go to buy the battery. Honestly, I just want to get another year out of whatever battery it is, I'm buying a new laptop in Summer 2010, I bought this one Summer 2007.

Should I just get the eBay battery?

2. be300test macrumors member

depends on there feedback, most claim genuine but are not genuine. a non genuine battery may VOID your warranty if you have any.

hope this helps

3. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

show us a link to anything your thinking about buying and we'll do our best to give you adivce. Battery and Ebay isnt very specific.

Theres a well known website, you may have heard of on this forum called iFixit.com, they sell parts for most Mac computers as well as giving detailed instructions to to complete your own repairs at home and dissasembly instructions, i would reccomend them highly for your battery.

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch/85

Thats a link to their site, im not sure what model of Macbook Pro you have, but since its 2007 it has to be non-unibody, so just a normal one, so if its 15" then you'll need the battery from that list.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

just get one oem from apple.

I don't play around with batteries.

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I thought Apple will replace a battery that is below 300 cycles and below 80% health no matter if its in or out of warranty :confused: Anyway, I would just get one from Apple, as from eBay it may not be genuine or have some problems.

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If you're open to (reputable) third-party battery manufacturers, I would consider this replacement from Fastmac. They say it provides more than the standard capacity with Apple's batteries, plus it's $30 cheaper ;)
    You'll see these batteries get mixed reviews, but I've found none that say they hold less charge than Apple's replacements, so it would be a win-win situation either way.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not too big on the Apple Batteries for my MBP, since it arrived DOA with an Apple Battery. Got a replacement "overnight" from Apple and it was a very nice Sony battery...:cool:

9. duyvan82 macrumors member

Get one from Apple!! You wouldn't want your mbp to be blown apart because of some "genuine" battery off eBay would you?

10. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm just going to get a genuine Apple one from one of those 3rd party sites.

I'm going to try to call Apple again. When I did, they told me that the health didn't matter since my battery was over 1 year old.

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Try again, I had a battery replaced that was well over a year old that sounded similar.