Buying a Blackbook OR the New MBP Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edanna, Oct 9, 2009.

1. edanna macrumors newbie

I am a student, with very little requirement of my computer other than it run fast, and be reliable. I have had my MacBook Pro for almost 3 years now, and it just isn't fast enough anymore. Often, for research, I need Adobe, Safari, Word, and Mail open simultaneously. I am debating between a new in box Blackbook 2.4 Ghz with upgraded 4GB memory, or the new MacBook Pro Unibody 13" 2.53 Ghz. Above all else, this thing has got to last me through grad school, and longer than my macbook pro has (although it's not really it's fault that I wouldn't spring for AppleCare :) I still love it to death!)

Anyway, please tell me what you guys think (I always check here for mac advice, but now I have an account!)

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The MBP will outlast the blackbook. It can support up to 8GB ram and from a construction standpoint is better made. Oh and you can use your education discount to get it cheap or check the Apple refurb store :)

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Well if you want collector's value then get the Blackbook, but I would say just get the uMBP because it is faster, has more room for upgrades, and lets face it, its super sexy, the matte black of the Blackbook attracts a boat load of finger prints and oils.

On paper the uMBP is the way to go here, because it really is the superior machine, and it will in my opinion last you longer.

My $.02

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

also, the adobe package supports GPU accelerating. The macbook pro has an Nvidia chip set. The Black Book doesn't.

Just my 2 euros.

5. edanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed

Sigh... I do prefer the bodystyle of the blackbook, I'm not gonna lie. I am suspicious of the new macbook pro because of the fact that it's basically what I bought before, which has only lasted 3 years. I really expected more life out of a $1500 machine and don't want to be disappointed again :cool: And I just don't see why it's the superior machine, I guess, with only .13 more GHz--is that really a lot? My apologies for my ignorance...

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

What model MBP do you have? I have one of that vintage and it is in no way too slow for me...and I'm a Computer Science major. May I recommend saving your money and invest in what you have? My present MBP might not scream on games, but it is more than sufficient for anything else. I have maxed out the ram on mine, and I recently put in an SSD and got a decent performance boost out of it.

7. edanna thread starter macrumors newbie

arjen92, I did not know that. Now that is potentially a deal-decider because I use Adobe like nobody's business

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

It will last 3 years, but don't expect to be able to run all new software in 3 years. Just like your current MBP, 3 years is a very long time for technological advancements. And the rate of progress appears to be accelerating. You can't really futureproof computers, especially not laptops.

I think the 13" unibody mbp is a better choice, because it's got the better nVidia chipset, the intel one in the blackbook is terribly outdated. Better screen, better battery life, card reader, more RAM support, and a faster CPU.

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

You could just get the current MacBook for $999 that has nVidia chipset and has the same body style of the BlackBook, in my opinion though it won't last you nearly as long as the uMBP.

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

As with the other opinions on here I'd go for the MBP. Yes the CPU is only 130MHZ quicker but you get a Nvidia 9400M as opposed to the Intel GMA X3100, where OpenCL is concerned you'll be wanting the 9400M when specific apps come out that use it. Also the RAM is DDR3 @ 1066MHZ as opposed to the Black MacBook which is DDR 2 @ 667MHZ.

Those 2 factors combined should give it a nice performance advantage over the Black MB.

Then there's the aesthetics value. The unibodies are much nicer, better more solid construction, yet nicely light. Back lit KB and full multi touch trackpad. MBP for the win.

11. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I think the 13" MBP is a better choice than the 13 MB:

Advantages of the MBP:
    - Unibody, tougher, lighter and sexier :p
    - DDR3 RAM
    - FW 800
    - SD card slot
    - Glass multi touch trackpad, once you've touched it you can't stop... :eek:
    - illuminated keyboard, once experienced you wont understand how you could have done without it :rolleyes:
    - but above all, a MUCH better screen :)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

given the anemic GPU in the blackbook, I'd say that you'll be better off getting a new MBP rather the MacBook.