Buying a Bondi Blue - what do you think? In UK

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bondiblueuk, Dec 22, 2015.

1. bondiblueuk macrumors newbie

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That looks like a good, solid computer although be aware that the flyback/analog board/power supply is a known weakness. It is one of the earlier models of iMac since it has the IRdA port on the front.

As for what they're good for-they make great computers for running the games that were current when they were out. Printing is possible as long as you find the correct drivers. HP printers-in my experience-tend to have pretty good support in OS X, although if you want to stick with OS 8.5/OS 9 you have to be more selective. Since you have USB, there's a decent selection of printers "out there."

For email, you have a couple of options which may or may not work depending on your client. Microsoft Entourage is good in both OS 9 and OS X, although the Office 2001 version is limited. The built-in Mail client in OS X Tiger(10.4) is decent, as is Tenfourbird. Web mail is always an option using Classilla(OS 8.6-9.2.2) or TenFourFox(10.4).

Be aware that they come up a bit short if you want to browse the internet or do anything like that on them, although it is possible. Versions of OS X past 10.3.9 are not officially supported, although 10.4.11 is possible with Xpostfacto and for the most part is a good upgrade from 10.3.

Whatever you do, I suggest maxing the RAM. These take PC-66(or faster) 144-pin laptop SO-DIMMs. Depending on whether it's a Rev. A or Rev. B, the max is either 384mb or 512mb. 384mb would be 1x128mb and 1x256mb, while 512mb would be 2x256. In order to put this much RAM in, you have to remove the processor card(not as scary as it sounds) to install RAM in the "bottom" slot on the underside of the processor card.

3. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this. I am considering mainly for retro usage and basic office tasks. No internet. Would OS9 work well?

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

This is a tough one, as the early iMac G3s didn't run too well on OS X. But with OS X, you could run MS Office 04 or 08, and have printer drivers installed (VIA GimpPrint aka. GutenPrint). If you stick with OS 9, AppleWorks/ClarisWorks (Not too sure what name was used) will work great for word processing. As @bunnspecial said, using Classila allows OS 9 to be a great OS for browsing the web. I have tried Classila on a PowerBook G3 Lombard, a PowerBook G4 Titanium, and a PowerMac G4 Cube. It ran beautifully on all 3 Macs. You could install an AirPort card in the iMac (assuming it does not have one already), for wireless internet. Keep in mind that it will not support WPA2 encryption, so you have to get around that. But there is always the option for Ethernet. Depending on the hard drive capacity, I would consider dual-booting OS 9 and OS X Tiger (10.4). If the drive is larger than 30GB, I would dual-boot.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Also, the description says it has Rage Pro Turbo graphics, therefore making it a rev. B iMac. Which means, 512MB RAM is the max!

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Tray loaders don't have any provisions for an Airport card.

7. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

There's very little you can do with a Bondi Blue iMac. And there's a very good chance that you won't be doing it long. The flyback transformer on that model had a reputation for failing after five or six years.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Mac OS 9 should run well, although mine is actually still on Mac OS 8.5. As long as you're ok with being limited to older software, such as Microsoft Office X.
    You're thinking of the slot loaders, not the tray loaders. The tray loaders predate the introduction of AirPort in mid 1999.

9. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

For your indicated needs ("retro usage and basic office tasks") I believe you would get more satisfaction with a slightly later G3 having a processor of 500/600/700MHz and also firewire. I believe the Bondi blue had a 330MHz processor.
    There's no shortage of G3's, so if I was you I wouldn't rush into getting the one from the link you provided. I see there is a little less than 3hrs remaining, and as it's an auction site, due to the game disks it may go higher than you really should pay for a G3. Don't be influenced by the load of software bundled with it either, because there are sites where you can download OS 9 discontinued software.
    If you are in UK, don't forget to check out the 'Gumtree' site. Their are several G3's there at the moment. Be patient, take your time, and you'll eventually find one worthwhile.

10. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

@bondiblueuk
    I see that the Bondi blue went for £35.34 was that your bid? If so, pleased with it?

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I like OS 8.x on PPC computers with limited resources(it has a smaller footprint than OS 9.x) but I think 8.6 is a worthwhile upgrade over 8.5 at least on the early NWR systems. The reason for that 8.6 adds support for USB mass storage devices, while 8.5.x does not support this.

I'm not a fan of OS 8/8.1, but think that 8.5/8.6 is a definite step-up from these.