Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Hey,
I am doubting to buy an iphone 5S now. It costs €650 for the 32GB version. While the 6 costs €799 for 64GB.

Can't really say I need the bigger screen (I come from a dumbphone) nor the bump in camera or other specs.

Has anyone else made the same decision?

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Even if this is your first smartphone, I would go all in if you're talking that kind of money. I say buy the 6 and keep it for a very long time.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Go for it. iOS 8 runs smoothly, and it's the best looking phone for me. Love the ability to use it one handed, if I want.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Moving up from a dumb phone, it'll be a whole new world. You won't miss what the 6 offers, and to be honest, the slightly smaller screen of the 5(S) will probably be an easier transition. My wife has a 4(S) right now, and is going to upgrade to the 32GB 5(S) soon and has no qualms about it. It's a fantastic phone.

GlideStar

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
The 5S is extremely good value as a phone at the moment.

The biggest update between the 5S and the 6 series is screen size. Internally they are very similar and have almost identical performance in real word situations.

Check out the comparison yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWDGvkCXjek

My girlfriend wants to upgrade her iPhone 4 and I'm getting her an unlocked 5s from the US which costs $550 (£330) new from Apple with a 1 year warranty - fantastic value.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas

The biggest update between the 5S and the 6 series is screen size. Internally they are very similar and have almost identical performance in real word situations.

My girlfriend wants to upgrade her iPhone 4 and I'm getting her an unlocked 5s from the US which costs $550 (£330) new from Apple with a 1 year warranty - fantastic value.

So why not pay an extra $100 and get her the 6?. That's like the price of going out once plus she gets a bigger screen and an extra year of support.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Yup you can't go wrong with a 5s. Still great performance with a few more years in the tank to go. Only issue I'd be concerned about is price. For brand new, spend the extra for the 6. But checked out used 5s or even the 5. Can save another couple of hundred there.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Yup you can't go wrong with a 5s. Still great performance with a few more years in the tank to go. Only issue I'd be concerned about is price. For brand new, spend the extra for the 6. But checked out used 5s or even the 5. Can save another couple of hundred there.

Used, a 5s would be worth it but brand new, I would get the 6 for an extra $100.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Just remember buying a 5s now means a year less of supported life for iOS. If that bothers you, that is.

So why not pay an extra $100 and get her the 6?. That's like the price of going out once plus she gets a bigger screen and an extra year of support.

I wouldn't consider the 6 a significant upgrade. It has a better processor, but still dual core, and they're both 64-bit utilizing only 1GB of internal RAM. They both have TouchID, Retina displays with 326 ppi, and TruTone camera flash.

In terms of hardware, the 6 does have the upper hand and bigger screen with a few new features, but considering the closeness in the major specs, why would you be so sure the 5s will lose support any sooner than its newer, fresher, slimmer, debatably more attractive younger model? Sent from my iPad.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Hey,
I am doubting to buy an iphone 5S now. It costs €650 for the 32GB version. While the 6 costs €799 for 64GB.

Can't really say I need the bigger screen (I come from a dumbphone) nor the bump in camera or other specs.

Has anyone else made the same decision?

The 5S is still an excellent phone. It is still top spec, will handle all you throw at it, that is, it's fast and powerful, and you may find the transition. The 6 is obviously a good phone but that extra size may not suit you coming from a standard smaller phone.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California

Not a fantastic value for year old technology. Wow.

soundxplorer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I'm going with a 5s as well. I don't need the bigger screen, and it fits in my pocket a little easier.
No iPhone is ever a "fantastic deal", they will always be priced at the premium end of the market. Even used ones hold their value for way too long. Great for sellers, not great for buyers.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Apple has a tendency to create ways to make things obsolete even if those things can technically handle the required work. You're very likely going to miss out on an iOS upgrade by not getting a 6. Every year that iOS upgrades, they strike the oldest model that was supported in the last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.