Buying a brand new 5s now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheStew, Sep 28, 2014.

1. TheStew macrumors member

Hey,
    I am doubting to buy an iphone 5S now. It costs €650 for the 32GB version. While the 6 costs €799 for 64GB.

Can't really say I need the bigger screen (I come from a dumbphone) nor the bump in camera or other specs.

Has anyone else made the same decision?

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Just remember buying a 5s now means a year less of supported life for iOS. If that bothers you, that is.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Even if this is your first smartphone, I would go all in if you're talking that kind of money. I say buy the 6 and keep it for a very long time.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Go for it. iOS 8 runs smoothly, and it's the best looking phone for me. Love the ability to use it one handed, if I want.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Moving up from a dumb phone, it'll be a whole new world. You won't miss what the 6 offers, and to be honest, the slightly smaller screen of the 5(S) will probably be an easier transition. My wife has a 4(S) right now, and is going to upgrade to the 32GB 5(S) soon and has no qualms about it. It's a fantastic phone.

6. GlideStar macrumors newbie

The 5S is extremely good value as a phone at the moment.

The biggest update between the 5S and the 6 series is screen size. Internally they are very similar and have almost identical performance in real word situations.

Check out the comparison yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWDGvkCXjek

My girlfriend wants to upgrade her iPhone 4 and I'm getting her an unlocked 5s from the US which costs $550 (£330) new from Apple with a 1 year warranty - fantastic value.

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

So why not pay an extra $100 and get her the 6?. That's like the price of going out once plus she gets a bigger screen and an extra year of support.

8. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Yup you can't go wrong with a 5s. Still great performance with a few more years in the tank to go. Only issue I'd be concerned about is price. For brand new, spend the extra for the 6. But checked out used 5s or even the 5. Can save another couple of hundred there.

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Used, a 5s would be worth it but brand new, I would get the 6 for an extra $100.

10. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't consider the 6 a significant upgrade. It has a better processor, but still dual core, and they're both 64-bit utilizing only 1GB of internal RAM. They both have TouchID, Retina displays with 326 ppi, and TruTone camera flash.

In terms of hardware, the 6 does have the upper hand and bigger screen with a few new features, but considering the closeness in the major specs, why would you be so sure the 5s will lose support any sooner than its newer, fresher, slimmer, debatably more attractive younger model? Sent from my iPad.

11. warriorz macrumors regular

The 5S is still an excellent phone. It is still top spec, will handle all you throw at it, that is, it's fast and powerful, and you may find the transition. The 6 is obviously a good phone but that extra size may not suit you coming from a standard smaller phone.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Don't you like the 6?

13. dba415 macrumors 6502

Potentially not true. 5S and 6 are extremely close in specs and performance.

14. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Not a fantastic value for year old technology. Wow.

15. soundxplorer macrumors member

I'm going with a 5s as well. I don't need the bigger screen, and it fits in my pocket a little easier.
    No iPhone is ever a "fantastic deal", they will always be priced at the premium end of the market. Even used ones hold their value for way too long. Great for sellers, not great for buyers.

16. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Apple has a tendency to create ways to make things obsolete even if those things can technically handle the required work. You're very likely going to miss out on an iOS upgrade by not getting a 6. Every year that iOS upgrades, they strike the oldest model that was supported in the last year.