Buying a camcorder and I don't know anything about it!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iLao, May 11, 2009.

1. iLao macrumors member

iLao

Ok I do know this:

- I want hdd or flash.
    - $400 is max. (=300€)
    - It has to be compatible with iMovie '08.
    - USB cable.

Please recommend me some camcorders. I want exceptionally good one. Please tell me some thing that I really need to know before I buy it.

Thank you 1OOOOO times.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Anything Sony or JVC.

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

You can't get "exceptionally good" for that price. It just doesn't happen. Just like you can't get an "exceptionally good" audio recorder for that price or an "exceptionally good" digital still camera. It's impossible.

With that said, I'd go for something which doesn't use MemoryStick and the sort but standards, and has good battery life. Big Brand is where to look.

4. aar2697 macrumors member

I would recommend the Canon FS200. The FS100 maybe be more expensive, but its not as good. The camcorder as few flaws in quality, and excellent for the price. I believe it is comparable to my Canon HV20 in standard definition. Although, if you do have a firewire port, just go for firewire. Its worth it. Check out some test videos on YouTube and see if you like it. ;)

5. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Why?

I have a firewire. But what if someday I buy a computer that doesn't have it, what will I do then. Is firewire faster?

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

Because memory sticks and that kind is more expensive, usually slower, and far from being everywhere,, should you need a new card with short notice.

Yes, but that's not the reason. Firewire is better for video and audio for numerous reasons. There's a huge thread on this, though. But my opinion on this is that firewire is what I need, which has meant me leaving the platform. In other words, you shouldn't let the computer set the lowest standard for all the rest.

7. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hi I also want to be compatible with iMovie, so I must buy one of these???

8. Tosser macrumors 68030

It's far simpler going out and take a look at what's available at your price point and better yet in your area. Then, after having fooled around with a couple then go home and see if someone has made a review of how (well) it (the specific brand and model) interacts with iMovie.
    That list, as it is, seems somewhat flawed from a quick glance down it.

9. iLao thread starter macrumors member

iLao

Hello,

I was at the store today and they had Sony DCR-SX30. It looks cool. The price is good. I just need your professional thoughts. Also i don't seem to find any information on their site(sony). Also, will it work with my mac and imovie?

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

That list shows all of the cameras that you can start iMovie, plug in your camera, and import footage directly. If you can mount the camera on the Mac and drag the files over, you should be able to (with varying levels of difficulty) somehow get the video into iMovie. Having said that, when I was looking for a pocket camera to supplement my Canon HV20 I made direct iMovie ('09 in my case) compatibility a requirement. That meant immediately discounting the Creative Vado HD and looking at the Flip Mino HD and Sony Webbie HD. I ended up getting the Sony for carrying around (unplanned shots) and still use the HDV tape-based Cannon HV20 for more planned events. I'd second the HV20 recommendation (or even HV30 if they've dropped to your price range yet) but it is FireWire.