Buying a camera at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thegoldenmackid, May 30, 2009.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hello.

I'm planning on purchasing a Canon T1i, probably at Best Buy thanks to the closing of the other camera shop. Anyway I can get them to take a tad off of this lens. I would go to the flea bay, but all of the packages include a bunch of extra stuff (tripods, bags) and other stuff that I do not want.

If anyone has any suggestions. that would be nice.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What should we suggest? You have your model picked out, the store you're going to buy it from, the statement that you're not going to eBay because you'd be buying unnecessary items, I am not sure what else we can recommend. Sorry if I am slow, I just don't get what suggestions you need. It's a good idea fwiw.

3. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck to get managers or what not to lower the price? i mean the reality that I won't tell them is that I'll probably end up buying it.

This is all brought about by the recent discussion of them possibly telling people to match the Back To School promotion. I understand that at most retail stores mangers still have the ability to negotiate somewhat with price.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ohhhhhhh :) Sorry ok then, I would do some searching online for dealers (not eBay) and see how low the lens can be bought and have them price match. If you have to walk away because chances are in Plano Texas there is another BB not too far. ;) See what happens. Frankly, it's a good price on the lens and I would just buy it, but I'm a puss and I hardly ever haggle.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You're better off buying from Amazon and saving yourself the tax unless you live in a tax-free area. Win-win, less money out of your pocket, less money towards Best Buy.

6. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Will they price match places like B&H? I'm perfectly fine paying taxes, I mean...for what it's worth...our education system needs all the money. I'm somewhat hesitant to go online because I leave for vacation on Friday, the last camera purchased through Amazon the body was (well..., who knows, the thing just came apart) broken. Getting them to send a new one before we left didn't workout.

As to the other stores...we are the shopping capitol of the world, but with the closing of Ritz Camera, my boycotting of Fry's, the destruction of Circuit City, we are left with Best Buys and one Micro Center...Poor Dallas :(

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're not going to drop it as far as B&H's price. Why wouldn't you just buy from them anyways? I know you said you're going on vacation, but a little planning and you wouldn't have been in this situation in the first place...

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

BB Manager: "Sir, what kind of store do you think this is?"

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You're purchasing at a national chain in the USA a relatively low ticket item, not at a mom and pop store. I don't think haggling works very well. And no - any of the online NYC camera shop prices will not be considered a competitor match.

10. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I'm probably going to get rapped in the mouth for this...but why are you boycotting Fry's?

11. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They knocked forty dollars off of the lens? I was pretty happy.

I had the absolute worst experience there. Regarding a Powerbook.

If you want more info..
    Scroll Down Here For More Info.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy online from Amazon or B&H.

Best Buy is overpriced or MSRP most of the time plus you have add tax. Amazon is usually super saver free shipping and B&H usually free Ground shipping.

13. tedelaney macrumors newbie

bb does price match, however i just downloaded their 10% off coupon and that took 90 bucks right off the top. came out way cheaper than amazon plus i asked them for a deal on the 55-250 lens and they took 50 bucks right off that too. just google the coupon, its like the one that the post office gives away.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...any store has got to be better than an on-base PX...