Buying a charger for 15" rMBP from eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrSayre, Jan 19, 2016.

1. DrSayre macrumors newbie

Hey guys, sorry if there's a similar thread on this already. I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Does anybody have any experience with buying a Magsafe 2 Charger off of eBay? There's several postings that are supposedly the real Apple charger for around $30...which kinda sounds too good to be true to me. Didn't know if Apple is the best place to buy them from or if eBay or anywhere else would be ok too and cheaper.

2. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Almost nothing on eBay is legit. Don't risk the integrity of your computer by potentially damaging it with incorrect amperage charging.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

+1 to Mr. Estevez. I've purchased a Magsafe 2 charger on eBay that claimed to be legit, and it looked REALLY legit... and it worked! Then after a year and a half, charging was really inconsistent... and I thought there was something wrong w/ my computer. Nope. Bad charger. Upon close examination, I saw it wasn't authentic.

I don't quite agree that everything on eBay is sketchy... far from it... I would be okay with buy 90% of my Apple products there, but "official" chargers, "name brand" memory cards, etc... those would be off my list.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If it was a real one it would be more expensive simple as that, cheap knock off chargers are a risk to your computer and a fire risk to your home buy with those thoughts in mind.

5. Eltina macrumors newbie

Eltina

i plan to buy a rMBP on eBay... am really sad to hear that nothing on ebay is legit...

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Buy one from OWC. They have genuine chargers in bulk packaging at a discount. Or post a WTB in the Marketplace and buy from a trusted user here.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

That was not what was asked or said, but anything that is priced to good to be true (i.e. a $120 charger for $30) is almost certainly to good to be true 75% off is just unlikely.

I managed to get a very good deal for my brand new rMBP in 2013 on eBay £300 off its still perfect 2 years later, 20% off is far more likely to be legit.

8. DrSayre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! This is the type of website I was looking for to buy from.

9. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

OWC for the win. I have dealt with them several times and enjoyed the experience.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I, too, bought a Magsafe from OWC.

Price is less than Apple, but more than for what you see on ebay.

Charger seems to be fine, so far.