buying a domain name: use an broker or DIY?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by robot prom, Oct 16, 2015.

1. robot prom macrumors newbie

I'm setting up a domain (actually the big 3 TLDs) for a upcoming side business. As is usual, the .com domain I want is taken, this time by a guy in India from the whois results. .net and .org are available.

I'm curious if anyone has used an broker to do this, or should I go it alone? I've sold a few domains before, and in each case I was approached by a broker hired by the buyer.

Anyone have an agent service they'd recommend? Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc each have their own brokers they push, but I don't necessarily trust a service a company sends me to by default.

2. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

it make sense if you are going to sign up with a hosting service to use the same for hosting and register of domain - IMHO

Amazon is worth cecking out if you are expecting to have a lot of traffic and scale up / business online etc?

I use Hostexcellence (low traffic- no online business) - they are easy to deal with and have been with them for 10 years - they are a little more $$ - $20 /year for domain registation.

I like their hosting - good back up and very little down time.

3. Efrem macrumors member

I don't think this addresses the OP's issue of buying a domain name from its current holder.