Buying a Dual PowerMac

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

Well, I was gunna buy an updated mac mini for my desktop, but the update didn't impress me much. So I'm going all out, and gunna by a Dual 2ghz G5 hopefully by the end of the week.

Any Upgrades I should make to the machine upon purchase? Or is the Stock Good enough for most?

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
It really depends on what you are doing. I am a designer, so use CS, MX studio, and Final cut a lot. I have the dual 2.3. I upgraded my ram to 2.5 and use a 74 gb raptor as my boot drive/scratch disk. The thing really flies. I have no complaints. I would suggest just getting more ram, and the thing should be darn fast for anything you need to do.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
If you plan on doing heavy duty Photoshop work, get as much RAM as possible. I have 4 and when I'm really blasting along, I have 500MB left.

I'll be getting another 2GB.

That said, they are fine machines and are good at what they do.

I love mine. :D

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
I would say get lots of ram, But don't buy from apple they really really really over charge for ram. If you have the money I would get the dual 2.3 insted the dual 2.0 it has a better mobo is faster processor and front side bus and more ram slots.