Buying a G4 for Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amylynn83, Nov 1, 2007.

1. amylynn83 macrumors newbie

I would like to begin learning graphic design. I work in the communications field and being able to edit and create images is a big plus. I don't have a lot of money to spend and would also like to begin learning the mac platform.

So, I thought that I'd buy a used mac with all of the graphic design software already installed.

I'm considering a G4 (the seller's ad is listed below).

Is this a good idea?

Again, I'm not sure how often I'll be designing at work, if at all, and this would be purely a learning computer.

Power Mac G4
    448 MB Ram
    100 MHz
    OSX installed
    Software installed: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat
    Microsoft Office Suite
    Macromedia Dreamweaver and Flash
    Extensis Suitcase X

19" Trinitron Monitor

Lacie External CD-RW

Ikea metal computer table with keyboard tray

Perfect for someone looking to start out in graphic design or website design - all the programs are installed!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is only a good idea if you get the original CDs and manuals as well. Buying preinstalled software is dodgy. You never know if the seller is going to keep the disks and use the software on another computer. They could even be downloaded versions which the seller just installed to increase the price that he might get for the computer.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. jwt macrumors 6502

There was never a 100 MHz G4, and 448 MB of RAM is an incorrect multiple. Does the seller know their machine? Can you trust a seller who is this misinformed?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would recommend buying a G5 iMac to learn OS X as it will run Leopard quite well. A G4 like that will struggle with Panther.

6. Synthabusion macrumors newbie

448MB is possible with a 64, 128 & 256 stick. I'd assume the 100mhz is the front side bus speed. The system is probably one of the early G4's. Probably 400-500mhz.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Which, of course, is a violation of copyright unless your get the original CDs, serials, and a transfer of ownership, which you will never get at a cheap price.

Starting with pirated software is not a good plan for a creative design person, whose entire livelihood depends on others respecting the rights you hold in your own work.