Buying a GPS. Which one do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stuff99, Aug 26, 2008.

1. stuff99 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a GPS and I'm not quite sure which one to get exactly.

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 260W GPS Navigation System - Black (Future Shop Exclusive) model and the TomTom GPS Navigation System with Voice prompt, BlueTooth And Text-to-Speech (GO920) at Futureshop.

The Garmin is $320 and the TomTom is $399.

Which one do you guys recommend? Is TOMTOM worth the bigger price tag?

Garmin Link: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10099013&catid=25833&logon=&langid=EN

TomTom: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10094793&logon=&langid=EN

Thats a comparison of the two.

Thanks for your help.

2. Definity macrumors member

I've found the TomTom navigation is much much better.

3. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I have used both. Tomtom has real issues with alignment of the device. While my friend was driving I had the GPS in my hand. I rotated it a bit and it got messed up ! :mad: Recalculations are slow too !

I would suggest Garmin Nuvi 350/360. Reliable and simple !

Garmin Nuvi 350 for $199

Garmin Nuvi 360 for $249

4. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I travel for work and I have found the exact opposite.

I hate my TomTom One and it even has the most recent maps of europe and the US. I find that it is constantly taking me to the wrong place, or trying to drive me down one way streets, it took me to the wrong town once with clients in the car. I have double and triple checked addresses but it is wrong. The UI is great and it is easy to use but its mapping software is abysmal.

Garmin all the way.

5. weeman macrumors 6502

My buddy has a tomtom and that thing lags

Garmin for the win!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have Magellan 2000, and I love it. I found a great website with indepth reviews of many GPS units. www.gpsmagazine.com I hope this helps.

7. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I can really only speak for the Garmin nuvi, but I have one and it works very well. There are differences in how the maps are depicted, I think the 3D maps on Garmin are much easier to understand.

Dave

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depends where you're at. In Europe, TomTom & Magellan have an edge, in North America, it's Garmin and Lowrance. This has to do with the mapping software used (they don't produce their own), and the relative accuracy in the respective regions.

As far as hardware and proprietary algorithms, Garmin has a clear edge. They've been at this game from the launch of the GPS constellation, and are a prohibitive favorite in aviation (no small thanks to the buyout of UPS Aviation Technologies some years back), and have more than kept pace in land-use GPS systems for years.

Don't worry about non-navigation features, that's more marketing than anything else. If it doesn't relate specifically to finding your way from point A to point B more efficiently, then it simply a bell and/or whistle.

I use GPS's daily on a must-have basis, and upgrade about every three years, comparison testing across all lines. I have yet to find anyone that can outdo Garmin at all price levels, feature sets, consistency, and reliability in consumer-oriented sets. I currently have a Zumo 550 (I have a bike, too), and am thinking about a 700/800-series next year.

9. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the input guys

i think im gonna go with the garmin one since that seems to be the popular recommendation

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Good choice. I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 680 for the past year and a half and I really have no complaints. Always reliable.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here, we bought a TomTom 910 a few years back and it's the best GPS I've had the pleasure of using.

12. macdim macrumors 6502

Well now that you got your answer OP, I'm asking a different one. Are there any GPS units that are portable that also display maps of lakes and rivers, and don't cost too much more than their auto counterparts. I'm looking for something I can transport to our boat and back to our car.

Thanks

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have the Garmin nuvi 205 and I love it. My mom uses the TomTom One, and by comparison, the Garmin was much better. It was more accurate, and had more places of interest.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I've had both and like TomTom's interface much better.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Most any GPS receiver provider that has marine units as well has the charts (land = maps, water = charts) that can be loaded into a land-use receiver as well. I know pretty much any Garmin will accept them. The bottom line is it's a matter of the installed mapping software, nothing else.

16. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I just got my wife the Garmin nuvi 760 from BuyDig (US $374)

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....dium=cpc&utm_campaign=GRNUVI760&sku=GRNUVI760

We love it so far plus it has bluetooth pairing and a FM transmitter so that you can have your handsfree phone calls come through your radio. Very convenient when you do a lot of traveling and in rental cars.

Hickman

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I found a review for the Magellan Crossover that does what you want. I hope this helps.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/02/magellan_crossovergps_indepth.php

18. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

+1 for the garmin. My family and I have had horrible experiences with TomTom's, but have always had luck with garmin's.

19. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

Glad I stumbled across this thread- I was going to purchase a GPS unit for a friend who has an upcoming Birthday. Thinking Garmin now. Good responses from all, thanks!

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

To beat this dead horse a bit more: I bought a Garmin nuvi 200W earlier this year and have been really pleased with it. I know the more expensive models have some nice features, but for anyone who's looking at the less expensive ones, I can definitely recommend this model (which I picked up for less than $200 IIRC).

21. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme