Buying a hard drive for Full HD editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Schack, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Schack macrumors newbie

May 16, 2006
    We're shooting a short film on a Canon 5D and I'm about to buy a hard drive to do the editing on. I'm on a budget here but I will buy what we need to get the job done.

Also the initial editing will be done in FCP 7.0.3 on a MBP 13" 2.53 ghz, 9400M, 4GB Ram. I'm assuming the MBP will be fine for log and transfer as well as initial timeline building, but what can I expect in terms of bottlenecks with this machine? Apart from color grading, I don't think there will much else in terms of effects.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
  2. hsilver macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    New York
    Almost any Hard Drive with 800 FireWire will be adequate if you edit your material in ProRes422. May get a speed boost with a dual drive RAID 0 like CalDigit VR but one drive should be adequate. I buy drives from Other World Computing. Very reliable and very good support and warranties. Often free 2-3 day shipping.
  3. Matty-p macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2010
    Take a look at g-tech they are cheaper than the website just goggle g tech all there stuff comes with a really longwarrenty they are good quality a good brand and there all fw800
  4. Schack thread starter macrumors newbie

May 16, 2006
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I just saw a nice deal on a 1TB Glyph, I think I'm gonna go for it:)