Buying a Haswell MacBook Pro in January a good idea?

007 Junior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
144
107
The Netherlands
I'm considering to buy the Haswell MacBook Pro for my study, which starts in February. Last year Apple released an upgrade for it's retina MacBook Pro's.

Is it smart to wait till, let's say March, with buying a new MacBook because of a 'possible' speedbump? How likely is it that Apple will do the same thing this time?

Please give me some advice.
Thanks!
 

cyberbro

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
45
8
I'm considering to buy the Haswell MacBook Pro for my study, which starts in February. Last year Apple released an upgrade for it's retina MacBook Pro's.

Is it smart to wait till, let's say March, with buying a new MacBook because of a 'possible' speedbump? How likely is it that Apple will do the same thing this time?

Please give me some advice.
Thanks!
Waiting for a laptop is a bit like a dog chasing their tail. Computer companies are always upgrading and around every corner is a faster computer.

Just buy when your ready, unless its obvious in a week or 2 the new one is coming.
 

jz-

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
141
28
Intel released slightly updated processors in January this year, which was the main update in the February refresh earlier this year. The entire rMBP range was just updated in October, so there's less need for a refresh, and if there is one it's more likely to come a bit later in the year.

If you can start using the computer in February, there isn't much point waiting in the hope of a refresh when, even if it does exist, it would probably be a 0.1GHz processor bump that makes little difference for most use cases.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,690
33,579
Boston
It was a minor spec bump last year, I doubt we'll see anything in Jan or Feb of 2014. I'd say at this point get the computer and start enjoying it.
 

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
1,368
0
I'm considering to buy the Haswell MacBook Pro for my study, which starts in February. Last year Apple released an upgrade for it's retina MacBook Pro's.

Is it smart to wait till, let's say March, with buying a new MacBook because of a 'possible' speedbump? How likely is it that Apple will do the same thing this time?

Please give me some advice.
Thanks!
many are awing on anand tech review before they buy one. i hope there is not a refresh.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.