Buying a HD Cinema Display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperKerem, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Hi, I am thinking of buying an Aluminium Cinema Display to match the design of my G5 and Apple keyboard.

I am living in the UK and was wondering if anyone could suggest where to get one, and how much they are worth?

I have put up a 'want to buy' thread on the Marketplace if anyone wants to offer me one! :p

Thanks

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Well there's eBay and Craigslist but you probably already know about those.
    Search for "apple aluminum cinema display".

3. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Yeah, it's a shame Craigslist isn't used much in the UK. On eBay the prices are quite high because of all the people searching for one. :mad:

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Well then you are probably going to have a hard time finding one. If you're lucky you may get one for free from someone you know or from a recycling center or other trash but it is unlikely.

You could also get a broken one and fix it but... I searched for broken displays on ebay and they are the same price, if not more, than a working one :eek: And there's not many. They might not even be fixable.

5. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Oh well I guess. Saw a 23' Cinema Display being sold on eBay a few weeks ago for only £19. Didn't buy it I since I had just bought some upgrades for my G5! :(

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you think finding an aluminum Cinema Display for those prices is hard, just try finding a 23" Acrylic Cinema Display HD!

One they are rare and two the only good prices you can find are on either damaged (the rear leg broke off, screen is cracked) or non-working displays.

These displays cost a minimum of $50 and demand the use of the A1006 converter or an even more expensive Dr. Bott VGA converter if you or so inclined, if you want to use the display on any port other than an ADC port.

And this price is before shipping! At least the aluminum CDs have an external power brick and can be used with a passive ADC/DVI adapter.

7. A.Goldberg, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I recently bought a 2nd 23" aluminum Cinema HD display in impeccable condition on Craigslist for $80. The guy thought it was a 20" and was selling it with his G5. I offered just to buy the monitor and he was ok with that. So perhaps try that out if you see a bundle.

I have a 20" acrylic for my G5. 23" Al for my Mac Pro and a 23" Al for my rMBP. You can't find a better looking (aesthetically) monitor out there.

I hate this trend on eBay and such of not selling the power adapter with the monitor. What a joke.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I paid $75 including shipping for a 23" acrylic HD display, including an A1006. I felt like that was a really good deal.

It came from an architectural firm out in California, and they reported that it had recently been in service but had been replaced with a newer one. They actually shipped it to me in a Thunderbolt Display box that showed Yosemite, so I'd believe that.

I asked the seller to remove the foot before shipping, and they were happy to comply. Fortunately, it arrived unscathed thanks to that.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Nah. The acrylics are being dumped in the UK. Some careful owners will ask up to £50 and the unrealistic somewhat more for theirs but plenty are sold for much less and they are not that rare, either. Just wait a week or two and a few will crop up.

The two 23" acrylics I got were bought for peanuts. Their ADC connector limits their appeal to the general user and their age shows in the fading vibrancy of the panels. One 22" I have has some pinking but I only bought it for the A1006 it came with that the recycling centre didn't recognise as being of special value. Of course, it helps if you can collect as they weigh a ton. I can imagine it is more difficult in the US with the larger distances to ship/drive.

I broke the kickstand of one of mine on the journey home and intended to cannibalise the stand from the 22" to fix it but those have different fittings and cannot be interchanged. Why, thank you Jony.

The Alu ones cost more since it seems as if the PSUs often go AWOL and are very difficult/expensive to replace.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, it's the opposite here, hence my post.

There is an abundance of the aluminum PSUs here and the aluminum displays go for cheap. The acrylics are the ones difficult to find in the 22 and 23" sizes. The 15, 17 and 20" are very easy to find. However you still get hit for about $30-50 just for shipping.

There one I've had my eye on on craigslist. Just haven't had the money or I would have gotten it already. Owner wants $70 for the 23" HD acrylic. The thing about that one though is that it comes with the converter so for me that's a reasonable price.