Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I just ran the launch all apps test. All apps (around 80 were launched) taken around 30 seconds to launch from the HDD. I then closed them all. Now that they are all cached in the RAM, I opened them all up again and they taken around 6-7 seconds to launch. It was like watching them all open on an SSD! This is the benefits of App Cache that you would not have experienced back in 2009. I'm not saying that people should go all HDD no matter what, I just saying the HDD's are still great.

Yep, make use of the caching in Mavericks and use sleep and the boot and launch times are irrelevant.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I know that much of the discussion here centres around the Fusion Drive vs SSD, but I was curious if anyone had an opinion on the pure HDD iMac and whether it was worth purchasing.

Has anyone here bought one? If so, are they disappointed with the performance or reliability?

The reason I ask is that the stores only seem to carry the HDD models unless you're willing to buy the top end 27" iMac that comes with a 3TB Fusion Drive.

My opinion is that it's not worth it. The performance bang for the buck is off the charts with the Fusion, in fact it's the best bang for buck compared to upgrading the CPU or GPU. You stand to quadruple your performance for similar money.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Fair enough. All that really matters is that it is fast enough for you and I'm glad to hear this is the case.

Just curious, but have you ever experienced SSD performance? I don't think it's a gaming thing. That's more the CPU and GPU, although SSD doesn't hurt.

Incidentally, I was never trying to claim that Macs with HDD-only are unusably slow. It's just that they start to seem that way once you've used one with a Fusion drive or SSD. :D

I have but I guess not long enough to notice the performance difference.

----------

A lot of emphasis goes to boot time here.

That is something I could care less about. I think I bought my Mac, turned it on and that's it. I think it booted for an update once....I wasn't in that big of a rush...

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
A lot of emphasis goes to boot time here.

I agree that you do see a lot of comments pointing it out but for me personally a faster boot time is not anywhere near the top of my list of performance advantages for flash drives. Blazing fast file transfers (and no fragmentation), durability thanks to no moving parts, lower power consumption and silent operation all rank higher than the ability to boot in 12 seconds. Then again, I'm not complaining about the boot speeds either. :)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I agree that you do see a lot of comments pointing it out but for me personally a faster boot time is not anywhere near the top of my list of performance advantages for flash drives. Blazing fast file transfers (and no fragmentation), durability thanks to no moving parts, lower power consumption and silent operation all rank higher than the ability to boot in 12 seconds. Then again, I'm not complaining about the boot speeds either. :)

I just ran the launch all apps test. All apps (around 80 were launched) taken around 30 seconds to launch from the HDD. I then closed them all. Now that they are all cached in the RAM, I opened them all up again and they taken around 6-7 seconds to launch. It was like watching them all open on an SSD! This is the benefits of App Cache that you would not have experienced back in 2009. I'm not saying that people should go all HDD no matter what, I just saying the HDD's are still great.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
...until it tears itself apart and breaks down :)

If it is not a bad HDD, it should last as long as an SSD (due to them having a set amount of read/writes). And if it is a bad HDD, Apple will replace it (as it would most likely go bad in the first year), and Apple offer you an SSD as a replacement (you of course have to pay the extra money though).

Bluzzer

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Denmark
Just tried a new iMac in a Apple store with the HDD inside.
Was really surprised how fast it was, i was looking in the system specs twice cause i thought it was an SSD. My 2012 macbook pro with HDD is much slower. :D

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Just tried a new iMac in a Apple store with the HDD inside.
Was really surprised how fast it was, i was looking in the system specs twice cause i thought it was an SSD. My 2012 macbook pro with HDD is much slower. :D

Yip. App Caching is outright amazing. Theoretically allowing for data access speeds of around 100X faster than a SSD for previously launched applications. It really is down the the processor. Once I launched all of my apps a second time on my HDD, they all opened up within 6-7 seconds. That is around the same speed in which an SSD would have taken to have opened them all up first time.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
\I'm not saying that people should go all HDD no matter what, I just saying the HDD's are still great.

Like I said, I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the performance and anyway, get em while you can. The low end choice for storage in the next major iMac revision may very well be a Fusion Drive. :) Many were surprised to see an HDD-only option in the Late 2013s.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Like I said, I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the performance and anyway, get em while you can. The low end choice for storage in the next major iMac revision may very well be a Fusion Drive. :) Many were surprised to see an HDD-only option in the Late 2013s.

I hope that happens. It will make the iMac a more affordable overall purchase for those who want a better performing option.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Each to their own I guess. I don't have a 'problem' - i.e. I could use a 2.5' 5400 rpm drive but I tend to prefer an SSD or a fast HDD (that being 3.5 or 7200rpm).

BTW, what read/write speeds do you get?

100 read and write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.