Buying a iphone 6s from ebay.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macmark93, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Macmark93 macrumors member

Macmark93

Hi just wondering what you think on buying new iphones from ebay? I have decided to buy a phone from ebay because of the money saving difference as i am already on a tight budget.

I have looked at these 2 iphones, the first link i have queries about as even though the seller has near enough fine feedback, when i clicked on as buyer feedback i have noticed that a lot of companies this seller bought from was those whom sell iphone 6s replacement screens and other bits . It just a bit funny considering he does not sell them but however buys them so it makes me think.

Second one looks alright but from viewing what are your thoughts on these listings and sellers?

If any of you have bought an iphone 6s brand new from ebay uk for no more than £540 can you please link me to those sellers. I am on a very tight budget and 540 is top of it . Thanks if you can help me it would be appreciated. Phone must be uk model, phone can be locked to ee as they usually unlock it without any hassle for a fee of around 9 quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-IPh...219612?hash=item46467ba75c:g:ZhsAAOSwcBhWaNTl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321958644468?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If their is anything else to take into consideration can you please let me know, advice would be appreciated, cheers.

2. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

3. HEK, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

HEK Suspended

HEK

Don't do it.

Buy the phone either from Apple or find someone like Best Buy or Target or Cosco with it on sale. perhaps a monthly plan like from Apple to spread out the payments. With no interest you don't pay any more. Save yourself a lot of grief. If this person replaced any parts of the phone like screen, should you ever need service from Apple, well you are hosed as they will deny fixing it as it has been opened and non Apple parts used.

If you don't have the money now, wait a couple months, save up. Better to buy the real thing then save 20% and get scammed loosing all you money. Or discover down the road you have a phone Apple won't touch.

How can someone be selling a 6s phone for so little just three months after introduction. I just don't know how you can check these out and be sure. Perhaps meet at Apple Store and have them give it a once over. If they even would. Bet any money the seller would not agree to that even if distance were not a factor.

Would you buy a car on eBay, sight unseen, and undriven? Buyer beware !!

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I also would not buy an iPhone from eBay. Just too big of a chance when it comes to higher end electronics, too many scams for products like these.

5. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I would never buy a phone off eBay. It's just asking to be scammed.

I would only buy off Swappa.com.

6. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Thanks all, do you know if apple offer like a custom finance plan in that case as i really need a phone asap.

7. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

8. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Thanks for your reply,even though interest is a bummer considering i'd want to pay 90% of the phone of in one go i am sure it wound't be that hard. I was looking at paypal credit before but it will not allow me to have a custom plan, i want to pay 550 pound straight of the phone but its just saying i need to pay instillments of like 100 quid a month? Hmm any ideas.

9. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

its interest free for 6 or 12 months just now, you could do 6 months, pay the first installment then stick the rest in a savings account or are you worried you would spend it!

10. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Yes lol that would not be a sensible option for me with my current job status as i am only working on a temp contract. Oh nothing worse when you need a iphone and theres a catch lol, i was kinda hoping there would be like a button on checkout that you could choose your self how much to pay upfront, guess i'll just need to go another whole month with a phone lol.

11. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Yes lol that would not be a sensible option for me with my current job status as i am only working on a temp contract. Oh nothing worse when you need a iphone and theres a catch lol, i was kinda hoping there would be like a button on checkout that you could choose your self how much to pay upfront, guess i'll just need to go another whole month with a phone lol.

12. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Let me throw out an opposing opinion.
    I am considering selling my 5S on ebay. Nothing is wrong with it and it has not needed servicing. It's not a 6S, but it is reliable.

I initially tried Craigslist, but nothing happened. Actually. I tried Gazelle first and sold a 5 & 5S to them. But, after realizing they were only giving me half or less of the value I wanted to try something else. Hence eBay.

Not everyone are scum or scammers on ebay.

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

Not saying everyone is. It just a bit odd, lower probability that a three month old phone is being sold already. Your scenario makes sense as you got new phone and want to sell old one. While it's not impossible to think of a situation where someone is selling a new phone, jut not as likely a straight up good deal. When it smells fishy, it probably is.

14. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Yeah i am a big seller and buyer on ebay and i totally understand that and majority items i buy on there are perfectly fine , but like a lot of the comments here i do not no how these sellers can possibly sell these brand new iphones at 100 less (give or take) and still make money. If i could believe it i'd buy it. But on the other hand i don't wana get close to the 600 pound mark for an iphone, fair enough spending daft amount on macs and stuff for me as i make the money back from them but with the iphone i will loose it. If i buy it for a hundred cheaper i will probably only loose a hundred to 200 on it within the time frame i will own it so i am kinda sceptical what to do. I will wait for more iphone buyer comments from ebay and try and round it all up.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

No, I would not use eBay. I'm not 100% sure if Swappa has a UK section but if they do check that out.. Never had an issue buying/selling from there and I do both regularly.

16. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

17. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

A buying and selling site for used mobile electronics: https://swappa.com

18. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

19. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

eBay is only good for thinks like flashlights, microfiber cloths, used books, old vinyls etc., not for buying iPhones.

20. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

T

Thanks i'll just need to bite it and get one from the apple store

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Are you on the EE network. Hopefully you realise that both phones are locked to EE. They will work with T-mobile, Orange and Virgin which all use the EE network. If you buy using Paypal you will be protected.

22. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Hi , i am on 02 but seller said i can unlock it for around a tenner from ee network , i have actually done it before .

23. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

If anybody knows where i might pick up a new iphone from a 3rd party reputable company in the uk could you please holla:) Think i'll just order it new tommorow night from the app store.

24. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

If you can't afford to buy the 6s from a reliable source and need a phone ASAP, why not buy another inexpensive smartphone, use it for now, and save up money for the 6s?

I made due with a refurb Galaxy S4 for over a year. I'm not an Android fan, but it was fine for the time I used it. This fall I sprang for the S6+, and was glad to drop Android. But, I still think buying & using the S4 for a while was a good move. Certainly better than risking hundreds of dollars purchasing an iPhone on eBay.

25. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Well thats what i was going to do to be honest and thats a really good point. With me usually i never buy the latest and greatest phone especially iphones , and usually i will get a s model eveytime the the new design comes out to get it for a good price , so last time i bought a 4s when the 5 came out and a 5s when the 6 cameout as you get better deals that way.I simply can't afford it and would not waste my money constantly even if i could with getting a new phone every release or every 2 or even 3 realease's, hell i don't even do that with the macs and i actually make my money back on them unlike the phone.

Normally i would of bought the orignal 6, but they are far to weak and slow for the money and biggest thing with them not being enough future proofed for me as i keep my phones for atleast 2 years, and sometimes 3. Also with the 6 lacking pressure sensative screen that you get on the 6s, they are not futer proofed enough to last me how long i will keep it. Now that the 6s has a pressure sensor on it this will be the future of ios and iphones so the 6s will be future proofed easily for the next 2 years and will still be fast, especially with its super fast chip.

Now i would of done that what you said buy a 5s untill i can get the 6s with no time pressure , but the thing is my money situation is funny, i will have money one minute and the next i will be skint for the next 2 months haha, its based on the type of work i do mainly and bills etc. I have money now as christmas is pay time for me , work is loaded and the only time of year that makes up for the low paid hours i usually get. So i have 80% founds to by the 6s, if i buy the 5s i then wont be able to recoop that money untill late febuary when we start to get busy again, so essentially i can't afford it untill then and if i were to sell the 5s that i just bought i'd loose to much money on it especially with the 7 on its way at that time. I have done this long without a phone so i can do another week or so i think .

But yes thanks for that , really sensable suggestion and i would of done that but it just won;y work for me .

How did you actually survive a whole year with the s4, it was the worst designed sotware for that device ever, android was barely usuable on that thing, my mother has the s5 and i honestly would rather use my 3310 than use that think in the fear i;d throw it of the wall in frustration lol.

Even -tho android has got a lot better now , i still just cannot live with it , its just not for me. And ios hmm, not guna sit here and say ios is perfect and this and that as it is not but it just works and at the end of the day we all need working phones that work for us . I actually tried to get into android countless times, but i just hate it , its a heap of garbage for me, and thats me trying to like it to save money buying ios devices. Only thing i love with android is the amount of choices you have, i could get a phone on par with the 6s for half the price, but thats apple.

Only android device i actually was impressed with was the nexus, stock android devices, those ran really well but the lack of sohphisticated hardware and build quality never cought my eye.

Thanks for your reply.