Buying a L2013 BTO iMac after the new 2014 are released

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumfluff, Oct 4, 2014.

  1. bumfluff macrumors regular

    bumfluff

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2014
    #1
    Hi all,

    Im need of a new iMac, but I'm not convinced that the new 2014 macs will be all that useful for me (don't care about retina display, and not thrilled about the rumored AMD GPU). Also i generally like to avoid being an early adopter, esp with the retina display.

    On the other hand Yosemite has reference to nvidia 9XX GPU, so there might still be hope.

    In ether case I would BTO a maxed out version.

    My question is, can i buy a older model BTO iMac (L2013) thats not a refurb after the new one drops? Preferabley Id like to get it from :apple: as opposed to a retailer bc of my eduction discount. Is this possible?
     
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #2
    Nope. Apple will pull them off the site and mark unsold stock as refurbished as soon as the new ones come out.
     
  3. NYhoosier macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2012
    #3
    I was facing the same dilemma. I decided to go for the BTO now. By the time it arrives, the 14 day return window will extend beyond the 10/16 announcement.

    If the announcement reveals a nice bump in specs or drop in price, I'll simply return the BTO that's on order.

    I figure this is the safest and surest way to get what I want without having buyer's remorse.

    Good luck!
     
  4. brerlappin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2012
    #4
    Doing the same thing actually. Will probably order tomorrow.

    I have concerns of Adobe CS6 not being retina capable for InDesign & Acrobat. Plus who knows if Yosemite and CS6 will be 100% compatible (but reports seem to be good so far).

    Just rather be safe than sorry in getting a model I know will work for what I need it for.

     
  5. bumfluff thread starter macrumors regular

    bumfluff

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2014
    #5
    what are the chances the new 2014 will be announced and not available right away?

    this would give us a nice little window to weigh the differences.
     
  6. brerlappin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2012
    #6
    There's also the possibility of spec bumps across the line in addition to the retina model being added.
     
  7. intz2nu macrumors 6502

    intz2nu

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    #7
    What are the dates you folks are looking at for word or release of 2014 iMacs?
     
  8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #8
    i guess we will find out on the 16th or whenever the apple event is .. i am tempted to sell my current iMac now
     
  9. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

    fastlanephil

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #9
    I would hold off until the bird is in your hand. Well, you know what I mean. :D
     
  10. Seramir macrumors member

    Seramir

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #10
    Apple could potentially keep the current 2013 iMac 27" (albeit a possible price decrease) and introduce the new 2014 27" Retina iMac as a higher priced, completely separate model, possibly called "iMac with Retina Display".

    I believe they did this when the MacBook Pro Retinas came out, so it's not unlikely that they'll do the same to the iMac lineup. Also, consider that with the Retina display, the new iMac will definitely come at a higher price premium and may not be sensible for more casual and budget tight customers. Apple would be foolish to pull off the current 2013 27" iMac because of this. When 5K displays become cheaper and more affordable, Apple will eventually faze out the regular non-Retina versions of the iMacs.

    Either that, or they spec bump the 27" 2013 iMac along with introducing the 2014 27" iMac Retina. Regardless, I don't see the regular 27" with non-Retina display going away completely, unless Apple can magically surprise us with a less than $500 price increase to Retina.

    I have a fantastic and virtually flawless 27" 2013 iMac (after going through 5 replacement iMacs). I'm definitely going to keep mine at least for another year. I don't want to be an early adopter and I can already sense the Retina display will degrade graphics performance, especially with the rumored AMD GPU.
     

Share This Page