Buying a laptop for university (September)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I have been a PC user all my life but was considering purchasing a Macbook for university next Fall. I have always wanted a 13" Macbook or Macbook Pro because it seems to be really portable (compared to the 15" and 17" machines).

Now that the Macbook Pros have recently been refreshed, what would you recommend?

Also, I don't want to start with the PC vs Mac debate but what are your thoughts on purchasing a PC with better specs for less price?
    __

What I will be doing with my laptop:
    - Surfing the internet
    - MSN
    - Email
    - MS Office
    - Listening/downloading to music
    - Watching/downloading movies
    - Maybe a bit of image editing (Photoshop)

So basically, the simple daily tasks.

Any advice?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The 13" will be fine for you if you don't mind the small screen size.

You should wait a month or two for the Back To School promotion to start; you'd get a rebate that covers the cost of an 8 GB iPod touch.

3. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I was definitely going to wait but I heard that they weren't offering the free iPod Touch promotion this summer?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The MB and MBP will be more than enough for your needs.

And to your Mac or PC question: It comes down to using Mac OS X or Windows. That simple. Specs aren't everything.

5. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Don't you also get a "free" printer?

6. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I've never used Mac OS X - only Windows. I just like that the Macbooks are very portable and have a great battery life.

Are you saying that even the MB will work fine for me? Would you recommend the MBP over the MB though?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As I'm a Firewire user, I recommend the MBP, but I'm also using it, so I'm prejudiced anyway.

Have a look at the following links to see what Mac OS X does how, and if you like the change in the GUI and behaviour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Mac Beginner's Guide

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

I think so, but I never get the printer anyway.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

In the past the printer and Back to School promotions have coincided, however they usually don't have the same end dates. Last year the printer noted a tad bit earlier then the iPod deal. All of this could obviously change.

10. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

On the Apple store at the moment there is a £70 printer rebate but I think that can only be used on printers that cost over £150, and I just want it because it's free and it will mean I won't have to turn on my mums computer (connected to the printer) to be able to print off school work and stuff. I'm not familiar with Apple as I have only just become interested in them
    so I wouldn't know about previous offers and promotions.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

In the past they have offered a coupon that makes at least one printer free, although that may not be case overseas.

12. DanK104 macrumors member

Does anyone remember when the back-to-school promotion (free iPod) started last year? Was it May or June?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

September 8th, as stated in the article I linked and you quoted.

15. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I'm just hesitant about getting the 13" (which I want) because of the old CPU.

16. Shirotai macrumors member

Shirotai

The current 13 inch will be more than enough for your needs. Don't worry about it so much - generations of university students have survived just fine with less! Just because it's 'old' doesn't mean that it's useless.

Best of luck with your studies.

17. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I just want my computer to last as long as possible. 3-4 years at least.

Do you think the 13" C2Ds will last that long - and still work well?

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Of course it will last long, it was not produced last year or even longer ago.
    Unless it has no failure in its hardware, the CPU will last as long as any other current CPU.

My six year old iBook still works, not as fast though, because today's technology is far ahead, but that will be the same in four years with all the is and C2Ds.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's "free" until you realize the replacement ink that you have to pay for is 20 quid and only prints a hundred pages. ;)

20. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

I can print large, colour intensive documents at my school so that doesn't matter. I just want it in case I need it sort of thing, so that it is there if I ever forget to use the printer at school. :)

21. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

C2D is perfectly fine. Most people would never know the difference between that and the new i5s, and people are still using their 4 year old MBPs now. The processor isn't going to just up and quit on you, and it certainly isn't going to get any slower. Now if you compare it to a top end MBP 4 years from now, you might see a difference, but for what you are doing, the current 13" is plenty.