Buying a laptop vs a tower?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amm, Apr 21, 2008.

1. amm macrumors newbie

I am trying to determine what is better. Investing in the black macbook or a macbook pro vs a mac pro tower.

will be using it to run all graphics programs (adobe suite) plus general personal computer stuff, i.e. word, excel, itunes, internet etc.

Any thoughts?

I have a mac pro from 2005 (2.5) but the logic board has gone. I think I am looking at $1000 to fix so I am considering buying a new one all together.

Do you think I should just fix it - will I get another couple years out of it?

thanks
    amm

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You should leave your old PowerMac alone. If you need mucho grande processing power, go with a Mac Pro for graphical apps. A MacBook doesn't even have a dedicated GPU, and the MacBook Pros are due for an update in May.

3. amm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. With your suggestion of not fixing my current machine - do you think I could sell it for parts or something?

I guess a Mac Book Pro or a Mac Pro are my top choices. Any thoughts on why the tower would be better than the laptop and vice versa?

4. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

If Adobe programs are the most complex programs you're working with a MB should be fine. It's only Apple w/ FCS that creates a FUD and makes you think you need a graphics card.

Adobe's s/w works fine w/ integrated graphics.

Use the money you save to buy upgrades for the MB or accessories :D

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A MacBook Pro would be ideal for you, just so all your Adobe apps run well (I know things can get a little shaky on an integrated graphics card depending on what you're doing). Nothing you are doing warrants a Mac Pro, seeing as today's processors can handle pretty much anything still image related in an instant. You can make due with a MacBook, but I'd recommend a MacBook Pro for reassurance.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Personally, I think the decision rests on whether you need your new computer to be portable. If yes, then worry about deciding between the MB and MBP. If you don't care, or just don't need portability, then you can consider a Mac Pro or iMac.

Secondly, while you didn't mention the iMacs among your possible choices, they should be able to run the software you mentioned without trouble. So unless you really need a workhorse, an iMac is a good option here, and the Mac Pros are likely too much for your needs.