Buying a LED screen for my MBP via eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyddil, May 24, 2011.

1. Kyddil macrumors newbie

I have a question, I've bought a Macbook Pro 13 i7 via eBay (new, sealed) and found out that it has 1 stuck pixel on my screen (right in the middle).. contacted the seller but he's saying you should call Apple but we all know the policy of Apple.. and since its opened I cannot send it back.. I tried to sell the Macbook Pro but no one wants to buy a laptop with a stuck pixel..

So I was searching on eBay for OEM LED screens for my MBP and found out that they are not that expensive! Now I wonder, did anyone bought a screen before? I mean are they good? Or should I be careful?

I was searching around and trying to fix it via a local shop costs round 400-500 euro (and up).. That's not worth it.. so thats why

Thanks!

2. sebgreen macrumors regular

recently had my screen replaced

Recently had a "back-light anomaly" with my 15" MBP screen. Had it replaced under apple care.

I did some research into replacing it myself. The glass is glued to the metal in the top clam-shell of the laptop. Its easier to get a complete new top clam-shell with new LCD panel inside it.

Its then just a case of unscrewing and hinges and replacing whole top.

3. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Called Apple and they dont want to help me.. they say 1 pixel is fair and it would cost them a lot to repair... While I'm like, im a graphic designer and i payed a lot for this thing.. as if it didnt cost me to buy this.. oh well

Yeah but that would be more expensive tho.. cause the glass is very expensive

4. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

1 stuck pixel is ****** (I have one too on my new Samsung LED Display). But it is something that you will have to deal with. Every hardware manufacturer has a certain "limit" for stuck pixels (i.e. how many stuck pixels a display may have before it is declared as dead-on-arrival).

You can try to "unstuck" it. Google for software solutions for that one.

5. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah tried everything, but the thing is.. those software stuff dont help (even tried a paid app)... and i cannot "rub" the pixel since there is a glass in front of it.. So thats why I was browsing on eBay and saw that new OEM LED screens for MBP13 are 100 dollar or something..

6. Blipp, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Blipp macrumors 6502

1 single pixel is not going to ruin your ability to work as a designer, however annoying it may be. As previously stated all manufacturers have a threshold for how many pixels, regardless of position, that need to be defective before they deem the entire display defective based on the overall pixel count. Apple is actually one of the better companies and have a relatively low number of like 3 or 4 while I've heard of other manufacturers having a threshold as high as 10 or more. I understand that it's annoying but no manufacturer would replace the display because of a single dead pixel. That said if you'd actually purchased from Apple or another authorized dealer instead of Ebay you'd have been able to return the laptop for a replacement within the first 14 days free of charge.

As for repairing the display yourself it's not the simplest of repairs and you could very easily end up in a far worse position than you already are in by voiding your warranty in the process. Tread lightly, and good luck.

7. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know Im already passed the pixel problem, and the funny thing is.. I bought in total 4 laptops (3 times via Apple, this 1 via eBay).. and ALL had pixel problems.. I just dont have any look with this.. the first 3 were on the sides tho but this 1 is in the middle..

thats why I was looking at replacing the screen, and if anyone bought a screen from eBay