buying a logitech mouse question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jon5552, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Jon5552 macrumors newbie

I'm a brand new Apple user - I just got a MacBook Pro yesterday! I am looking to get a nice wired mouse. How does the Logitech MX 400 sound?

1.) Is it compatible with Apple?

2.) Can I hook it up to my MacBook Pro and start using immediately or will I have to install any drivers/programs?

Thanks for any help!

2. Mr. Friday macrumors newbie

Mr. Friday

Is that mouse coming in through USB?

Does that computer have USB, or am I thinking of that other Mactop?

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it will work out of the box, but if you want to use all of the buttons you may need to use either steermouse or usboverdrive. FWIW, I use steermouse with a logitech MX518 and it works perfectly. I can customize all of the options even more easily and completely than using logitech's own drivers under Windows.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. All Logitech mice are compatible with Apple computers.

2. Plug it in and start using it. If you want to program keys or use advanced features, installing the Logitech Control Center software is quick and simple and easy to use. Some will recommend other software, but I've never had a problem using LCC software.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Jon5552

Logitech works great. However, here is why I'll NEVER intall LCC Control Center (hint: I like my kernel memory left alone, and definitely don't like stuff secretly installed (APE)) http://sneezingfrog.com/blog/archives/16

6. Jon5552 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! I don't want to program any keys, use the advanced features, or worry about kernel memory so it sounds like I can just plug it in and be on my way.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've always run LCC and it has NEVER installed any "secret stuff" or caused a kernel panic or any other kind of problem for me. I understand there may have been issues on older releases of Mac OS X, but since Apple upgraded the OS, that's history.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

say wha :eek: :confused:

Don't take this the wrong way, but under which 10-year old rock have you been hidin, huuummmmmm ??????

EVERY new Mac since the 1st gumdrop-shaped iMacs (summer '98) have had USB, and USB mice to go with it too....

And why on earth would you even think Apple's current flagship lappy would NOT have USB :D

9. CEnTR4L macrumors member

does of the any Logitech mice products has an applemightymouse-like?
    I mean:
    1- has left & right scrolls
    2- extra button for Expose`

?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) MX/VS Revolution, MX1000/1100, V470, etc.
    2) Wheel click.

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

A few mice like the MX Revolution secretly installed APE (a haxxie) along with the LCC. This resulted in a few people having screwed up 10.5 installs since they didn't know they had a system hack on their system.

Basically, logitech isn't exactly trust worthy when it comes to drivers.

12. Jon5552 thread starter macrumors newbie

MX 400 and a Mac follow up

When I plug in the MX 400 for the first time will I be able to use the side buttons, scroll-wheel and the scroll-wheel button immediately or will I have to install software? Basically, what sort of functionality will I get with the mouse without installing any software?

UPDATE 9/2/2008
    I bought the MX 400 and it worked fine, except the forward and back buttons on the right hand side of the mouse didn't work (I had to install the software to get those buttons to work). I decided to exchange the Logitech MX 400 for the less expensive and very basic two button/scroll wheel "Logitech Optical Mouse". This mouse works perfectly for me.