Buying a Mac, Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JamonBull, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

Ok so I've recently decided to buy a Mac, I've owned many in the past but am in need of buying a new primary machine. I'm actually studying a teaching degree at university, so portability is a HUGE factor for me (always carrying my Mac between classes so lightness and comfort is so key). Initially, I was caught up in the whole iPad craze and thought that the ultimate combo for me would be an iMac at home, an iPad at work, plus an iPhone on the side. Recently, after using my Mum's iPad for extended periods of time, I've come to realise that it just isn't a practical option for a teacher who is preparing keynote slides, lesson handouts and other documents all day, so I decided against that. I've narrowed my choices down to three options and need advice on choosing which one suits me best.

1) MacBook Air
    2) MacBook Pro 13"

Right now I'm leaning towards the MacBook Air. And I'll tell you why. All I do is prepare iWork documents, browse the web and send emails. Most of which I share between the iPhone anyway. I don't REALLY have any need for a CD drive or any of the hardware benefits of the MacBook Pro's. But there's a couple of things holding me back from the air.

1) It has a slightly older look about it (trackpad button, no black bezel). Do you think these features will ever be updated?
    2) I'm worried that if I buy a max'd out Air, Apple will will then cut it out of its product line due to the success of the iPad! What do you all think? Air is good? Or just a niche product that Apple will abandon in favour of the iPad.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I had both the MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro for over a year. The MacBook Air was used more initially, but eventually the MacBook Pro started to win out because of the power. Earlier this year I had to sell one of them for financial reasons and I ended up selling the MacBook Air. Also, if you need the battery to last longer than about three hours that automatically knocks out the MacBook Air, the battery in it is pretty bad. (I had a SSD in it as well) I really appreciated how light the MacBook Air was, but at the end of the day it just didn't cut it for me.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is a pretty tough decision. Certainly the hardware of either would be sufficient, although the battery might be of note. The battery in the MBP is rated to last twice as long as the MBA. If that isn't a big deal for you, then I would say the MBA would be your better bet, but if the 10 hour battery would be helpful, I would go with the MBP. The MBP is plenty light and portable itself, plus it is considerably cheaper as well, with much better specs in general. As far as the end of the line for the Air, anyone's best guess is just speculation.

4. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

if you have the money go with the macbook pro