Buying a Mac from another online store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EvanAgee, Apr 26, 2007.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying a new Mac online. It's brand new but it's coming from a person, not a company. My question is this, should I still be able to get AppleCare for the item (assuming it was purchased less than a year ago) as long as I have the serial number for the computer?

Are there other things I should be considering when buying a Mac from someone other than Apple?

All help/comments are appreciated!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

#1) You have to be cautious when purchasing from individuals online ...especially with Apple products.

#2) Yes, you can still buy AppleCare assuming the computer is under 1 year old (it definitely helps if the seller can give you the original receipt as proof of the original purchase date).

Are you buying from ebay, or elsewhere?

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Why don't you want to buy from Apple? You should check the refurbished store, the macs there are cheaper than new macs and still get one-year warranty.

4. jnash macrumors regular

x2

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I would echo EricNau's first point, but with an amplifier. Alas, the internet has been infiltrated by the unlawful, the unscrupulous, and the professional predator. If you are making this choice because it is such a good deal, it just failed the first test. Macs maintain (easily) the highest resale value in the industry. No one has to discount them very much if they want to sell them, especially newer ones. Be very careful! Maybe this is a legit deal, and you did not provide any details. However, we do get posts here from those who have been burned, thus the warning.

6. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Thanks all,

The item is on ebay from a seller with 300+ feedback and they're still at 100%. It's a 17" MacBook Pro with the stock options and it's 2549 BIN (with free shipping).

What do you all think?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

9. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

feedback means nothing... my ex had 2000 and 100% and she stole thousands from others