Buying a Mac - future improvements?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Channard, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Channard macrumors newbie

I've had a Mac Mini for a couple of years now and I'm looking to get a new iMac. The thing is, none of the macs around seem to match what I'm looking for. I've considered four models.

24" iMac Previous Gen - a local store has one of these, which is cool, but it's only got a 7300GT graphics card. I'd like to be able to ditch my PC, which I occasionally play games on, which has a 7600GT at the moment.

20" iMac Previous Gen - this is cheaper than the 24" but the graphics card is even worse.

iMac 20" Current Gen - the screen bugs me. I know some people like it, and some people don't, but having seen it running next to a previous-gen iMac I know I want a matte screen. It does have a decent graphics card, though not as powerful as the 7600GT on the custom 24" previous gen, but the screen just doesn't appeal to me.

Mac Mini Current Gen - I've already got a screen and keyboard, so this'd be good, but it's got a really crappy graphics card. In fact, even the Apple TV has a better card.

Does it seem likely at all that Apple will release a Mac Mini with a better graphics card or a new iMac with a matte screen? It seems a shame that none of these options fit what I want. I'd have plumped for a 7600GT 24" iMac, but I'm the UK, and I can't find anywhere that sells one of those models new.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Both of these options are possible.

My guess is that we will see a matte screen option first due to the number of individuals who prefer matte over glossy.

3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

They MIGHT, but they just updated the Mac Minis, so it will be another 6-12+ months... maybe, lol idk how often they update stuff,

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mini won't be updated for a while now, since it just went C2D 4 weeks ago.

5. Channard thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well - hopefully it'll be sooner when they offer iMacs with a choice of gloss or matte screen, like they do with the MacBook pros.

6. MK2007 macrumors regular

You'll probably have to wait until next year for the mini to get upgraded again.

It would not surprise me to see a matte screen option for the iMac when Leopard is released a couple months from now. Tell Apple you want a better iMac by giving them feedback.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oops. Forgot about that.

I would say that definitely makes the possibility of a matte screen for the iMac to happen sooner than a video card upgrade for the Mac Mini.

8. Channard thread starter macrumors newbie

One other thing I've heard is that the 20 inch screen on the iMac Aluminium is significantly worse quality than the one on the previous generation. I don't have the room for a 24 inch mac so I will end up getting a 20 inch whatever. Is this criticism of the 20 inch aluminium screen justified? Leaving aside the glare issues, that is. If this is the case, then I'd be tempted to pick up a previous gen 20 inch.