Buying a Mac, got questions?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bontarest, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Bontarest macrumors newbie

I am picking up a MacBook Pro 13'' because I will be going to school this fall and taking many programming courses. Here is a list of some of the subject matter I will be dealing with:

-Web Development (including XHTML, PHP, Javascript/AJAX)
    -Database Development (including MySQL)
    -Object Oriented Design
    -iPhone Development
    -Internship

Some basic info about what I would like out of my new laptop:

-Gaming (MMOs usually. Not needing super graphic intensive capabilities)
    -Portability
    -Graphics and Animation (such as Flash and Maya)

So my question is, should I pick up the 2.26 or the 2.53, I know that I will not see much if at all of a performance increase but I plan to sell the MBP in 1-2 years. Which one would net me more money when I do go to sell it (the 2.53 I would assume) but would it net me enough to justify spending the extra $300? Or would I see a better net if I get the 2.26 and upgrade the RAM myself?

*To clear it up, and sorry for the misunderstanding, I plan to do the Ram myself*

Also on a side note, when I Boot Camp should I run XP Pro Vista, or 7? Keep in mind I need Windows for school.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Always upgrade the ram yourself. You are going to be lucky to get 1/3rd of the money back in two years in the upgrade.

But these will help.

3. Bontarest thread starter macrumors newbie

This link doesn't help I know there have been posts that are like mine, but none that I have come across that deal with the resale value, and if its better to get this one or that one from the resale value point of view.

4. summits macrumors newbie

summits

You should upgrade the RAM yourself. Make sure the RAM is compatible for your MBP. I believe it is a better choice to get the lower end model and upgrade it yourself. I'd stay stick with XP or Vista until much of the software is compatible with 7. Right now I have the RC version for 7 and there are some software compatibility issues with my wireless printer (gotta stick with usb).

5. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

actually, a LOT of them discuss resale value. also, check out the 2.0 vs 2.4 threads for the original unibody macbooks, because those also talk about resale value. don't think that you are the first to ever speculate about the resale price of your computer. read the other threads and i'm sure all of your questions will be answered.

6. Bontarest thread starter macrumors newbie

I would never think I would be the first, if you actually read what I wrote, I haven't found any of the posts that I'm looking for, which when I can't find something I try to be proactive and ask.

If you know of a post that I'm not finding send me a link if it covers what I need and answers what I want I will delete this post.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I gave my answer. In two years people are not going to care about the processor, they are going to care about the generation. The experience I had with my six-month old MacBook Pro was that people don't care about the processor. You are in no way going to get $300, at best we are talking about $50. I posted the mroogle point to show the other reasons regarding which to purchase, because if your intention is an investment, invest in Apple stock, not Apple Computers.

8. Bontarest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer, I think I will get the 2.26 I'm not looking to invest, I'm looking to get the 17'' in 1-2 years when I can get Quad Core and SSD, standard in the MBP, and would just want to re-coop some of the lost cost from buying a 13'' now over getting a cheap Windows machine.

Also how much do you think I could sell the MBP 2.26 say in 2 years around 500-750 is what I'm thinking, am I off? Also they would have 1 year left of AppleCare, as well as 4GB of Ram.