Buying a Mac laptop for a friend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TRDGT4Writer, Feb 19, 2016.

1. TRDGT4Writer macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I'll be buying a laptop for a friend because in her country in the Philippines, it's a tradition to exchange gifts. It's called Pasalubong. I don't know what it means but it's a sign of respect so I'm doing it and she wants a Macbook Air. However, she wants me to teach her editing on her laptop.

As an editor, every vein in my body immediately switches to overdrive to find one that would be perfect for years to come. Also, I'll be getting her a external drive because I don't trust the Retinas.

Now, she's only likes it for iTunes, iPhoto, and because it looks good....okay.

Adobe CC is great way for her because she can edit on her phone and import that into her laptop. She doesn't have a lot of money but she said "So your pasalubong (gift) for me when you go here is a Macbook Air. Okies!?".

I could get her the MBA but max out the specs or I could get her one of the Macbook Pro 13s:
    • 2012 Macbook Pro non-retina 2.9 GHz i7 16GB RAM 512GB Samsung 850 Pro
    • Latest Macbook Pro Retina 3.1GHz i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD (when Skylake or Kabylake comes out)

So now I'm in a bit of pickle on what to give her. I spoke to my old friends and they said the same thing, "just give her either the non-retina "Pro" and max the specs or do the same thing when Skylake or Kabylake comes out.

Oh legendary Macgeeks of MacRumors, I need your wisdom to help me with thy quest to find the laptop she desires...

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The Macbook Air is now just called the Macbook. If you can wait till 18th March, there should be a new one, but either way, for the above criteria this is model is the one to get. The Macbook Pros are huge and clunky, and due for a redesign as has happened to the Air. If I were you I'd avoid getting one that is about to be obsolete, since it is so close.

3. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Actually the MacBook Air is now just called the MacBook Air. The MacBook is called the MacBook. They are two different model laptops that Apple presently sells (along with the Pro).

OP, just get her what you can afford. It's sound as if she doesn't have anything now, so she should be happy with whatever you get for her.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you want to use it for video editing go with the pro. If its photo editing any of the current line up will be fine, but the retina macbook is very thin light and silent get it in gold and it"ll spot on.

The smaller retina macbooks and 13 in pros have all been very solid machines you should have no trouble with one my 2013 retina pro hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years.

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

An excellent reply in the above 2nd paragraph!
    With this Pasalubong thing, is it a tradition to exchange gifts of approximately equal value?
    The fact that she said she wants a Mac Book Air, if it were me I'd give her an even bigger surprise. A bag of sweets!

6. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The wikipedia-page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasalubong doesn't mention MacBooks (Airs or Pros).
    Though it does mention fruit.
    So, I guess it's 2016 and a case can be made that a MBA is some kind of fruit...

You can check here for lowest prices:
    http://prices.appleinsider.com/#applecare
    I would choose an 8 GB RAM machine, at least. I would stay clear of the 2012 MBA (souped up or not). The display's resolution is almost too low for today's GUIs. The 13" MBP (retina) is the most powerful, the 12" rMB is the lightest and the 13" MBA is the cheapest.
    If she only uses it for iTunes and browsing, the 13" MBA might be the best.
    I would get an external drive for backups anyway (TimeMachine).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    On a more personal note: just how good of a "friend" is she?

7. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

It's an Apple, silly.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    Not good enough. He's getting an upgrade.

He's a genius: guaranteed time "teaching her editing".

8. TRDGT4Writer thread starter macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I literally laughed out loud at your comment :D
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    That's a good question since I don't know what she would be getting me that would equal the cost of a $1000+ computer.

I guess I would have to buy her a lot of See's Candy, but I can't take anything on a plane unless See's Candy is in the Philippines...