Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snagnyou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
Looking at buying a Mac Mini and I know everyone is dying for an update? Is that coming soon? Probably not.

I was thinking I'm better off buying a 2012 version and installing an SSD (which I already have) in there and upgrading the ram to 16G.

Whats a 2012 i5 Mini late model worth with a spinner and 4G or am I better buying a new one?

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
Looking at buying a Mac Mini and I know everyone is dying for an update? Is that coming soon? Probably not.

I was thinking I'm better off buying a 2012 version and installing an SSD (which I already have) in there and upgrading the ram to 16G.

Whats a 2012 i5 Mini late model worth with a spinner and 4G or am I better buying a new one?

for me, the 2012 MM's are more user friendly when it comes to replacing/upgrading the RAM or HDD with an SSD. i bought mine locally for $400 w/ orig. 4GB ram and 500GB hdd. i now have 16GB ram and 2 SSD's for 1TB total.

others have stated that the refurbs sell rather quickly on Apple's site or authorized dealers. so price can range whether you buy locally(Craigslist) or online(Apple, Amazon, eBay...etc).

the latest current MM's now have the RAM soldered to the logic board, but still able to replace/upgrade the HDD.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

Frame the question this way, how much better than the 2014 upgrades will the next iteration get? Further, will Apple constrain the next mini more than the 2014 model? E.g. Will they put a core-m processor in it and remove the fan, a la MacBook retina? Will it only have 1 sub-c port ala macbook? That's the real worrying direction for the mini imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.