Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I think that craigslist scams are very prevalent now, esp. among ads for Macs. And although there are threads about scams in these forums, they're not stickied and the information is scattered. Therefore, I think it is worthwhile to start a thread meant specifically to advise people about purchasing macs on craigslist and how to spot a scam.

Most of it sounds straight forward, but people nearly fall and probably do fall for them everyday. :eek:

The has anyone heard of Paysafe thread is a great thread but unfortunately located in the marketplace where less users read and I think a thread belongs here that needs to be stickied.

As posted on the Craigslist About Scams Page, the best way to avoid scams is to deal LOCALLY with people you can meet in person.

But many ads don't initially mention a) where the machine is located and b)how a local transaction would proceed. Therefore an e-mail correspondence must be initiated.

How to tell from E-mails that this is a scam

Tactics
  • The price is too good. Examples: A Macbook Pro for $900 or a Powermac and 23" for less than $2000 or a Mac Pro and 30" for $2400.
  • Person won't give you his phone number.
  • Seller claims to use an escrow company and/or storage companies, many of which are reputable, including TNT Shipping.
  • Payment should be sent using:
    • Paysafe
    • Moneybookers
    • WESTERN UNION
    Seller claims that funds are held until goods are received and that there is a "14 day return policy." Paysafe and Moneybookers are shady already and payment will be asking for a western union transaction through the web anyway, a direct transfer, NOT escrow.

The person is in a foreign country!
Unfortunately, this was not revealed until 2-3 emails in. The seller also claimed the machine was in local storage and that I could gain access and see it before making the purchase.

They use a fake address in the UK, for example:

Seller Details:
Ralf Strombol
96 Mount Street
London
W1Y 5HG
United Kingdom

Agent Details:
Sean Mcwilliam
322 Kings Road
London
SW3 5UH
United Kingdom

The "seller" address is in a commercial district, not at all residential and the latter goes to Mulberry home, according to user flyinmac, our resident Agent Mulder.

I had also received the same seller address but a different agent adress:
Robert Griffins
180 Brockley Road
London
SE4 2RR
United Kingdom

What to do about it

Hopefully most people don't ever actually complete the transaction.
Unfortunately, the names addresses are fake. So reporting to the police probably won't go far.

The emails are also fake, like hotmail accounts.

UK Police won't do anything. If you want to file a report with the U.S. police, you have to walk into a station to file a report.

User Keebler suggests reporting it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center here:
http://www.ic3.gov/

You can also report to Craigslist, but usually those listings go up and down really quick.

Samples of Correspondence from Scammer

the system is in ------ (at PaySafe official location). It could take up to 25 days to set up an appointment to pick it up and I am not going to wait that long. I am sorry but I didn't note the serial# before dropping it in PaySafe custody so I can't provide you with.
Anyway, let me explain you how PaySafe works and how we can proceed:
In order to start the official transaction, I need to know your full name and shipping details.
As soon as I receive this information, I will forward it to PaySafe and as soon as they have all the details, they will start the transaction and notify you with all you need to know regarding it (payment instruction, shipping, my account status etc) As soon as the payment is complete, you have to send them the payment information, they will verify it and proceed with the shipping. You will have 10 days return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the system and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they will release me the funds, if not, you will have a complete refund within 3 days. So I am waiting your email.

Response from scammer as transaction proceeds further
"I just checked with PaySafe and I was informed that they can proceed with the shipping before you send the payment. As soon as I will provide them with your shipping details, they will start the transaction and notify you with all the details, after that they will proceed with the shipping and provide you with a tracking number. Only after you'll receive the tracking# and verify the shipping you have to make the payment using the exact details they provide you with and send all the details to PaySafe.
So I will be waiting your email.

Hi,
The system is in perfect cosmetic and working condition without any scratches or dead pixels on the monitor, there are 2 years Apple Care warranty left on it. The price I will sell it for is $1,300.00, which is including all the shipping charges and it`s with the monitor included.
I live in ------ the next approximately 5 months. Anyway, there nibe any problem, because I am using PaySafe services so I can sell the system without difficulty.
I left the system in their custody before leaving overseas. They will take care of the delivery. There's a 10 days return policy included so you will have the chance to inspect it before final decision.
So if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how PaySafe works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Hi,
the system is in ----- (at PaySafe official location). It could take up to 25 days to set up an appointment to pick it up and I am not going to wait that long.
So let me explain you how PaySafe works and how we can proceed:
In order to start the official transaction, I need to know your full name and shipping details.
As soon as I receive this information, I will forward it to PaySafe and as soon as they have all the details, they will start the transaction and notify you with all you need to know regarding it (payment instruction, shipping, my account status etc) As soon as the payment is complete, you have to send them the payment information, they will verify it and proceed with the shipping. You will have 10 days return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the system and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they will release me the funds, if not, you will have a complete refund within 3 days. So I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Hi,
The system is still available, it's in great cosmetic and working condition without any scratches or dead pixels on the monitor, it has 2 years and 4 months remainig Apple Care warranty. The price I'm selling it for is $2400 which is including all the shipping charges.
I live in ------ but currently I am with work in UK, London for the next approximately 7 months. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problem, because I am using MoneyBookers services so I can sell the system without difficulty.
I left the system at their warehose before leaving to the UK. They will take care of the delivery. There's a 14 days return policy included so you will have the chance to inspect it before final decision.
So if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Hi again,
the system is in ----- (at MoneyBookers official location). It could take up to 25 days to set up an appointment to pick it up and I am not going to wait that long because I am paying some fees each passing day.
The system will come in its original boxes, with all the original cd`s and registration# for the installed software.
If you want to purchase it, let me explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can proceed:
In order to start the official transaction, I need your full name and shipping address.
As soon as I receive your info, I will forward it to MoneyBookers, they will start the transaction and notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc) One of their agents will be assigned to handle the payment. You have to make the payment using the exact details they will provide you with and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the payment information, they will verify it and proceed with the delivery. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the system and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they will transfer the Apple Care protection plan into your name and release me the funds, if not, you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Please add to this "guide" in progress and not just flood it with comments. If someone could get a mod to sticky this, that would be great!

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
You can often also judge if a listing is a scam by the included pictures. If you've been on CL you know that every scam listing (especially the MBP ones) use the same pictures. They're not stock photos just poorly taken ones of a nondescript machine.

The listing itself can also help you judge. It should be an initial warning to you if the seller posts specs that are just copied from Apple. Many real sellers do this do but it is an element of many scam listings.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
You can often also judge if a listing is a scam by the included pictures. If you've been on CL you know that every scam listing (especially the MBP ones) use the same pictures. They're not stock photos just poorly taken ones of a nondescript machine.

The listing itself can also help you judge. It should be an initial warning to you if the seller posts specs that are just copied from Apple. Many real sellers do this do but it is an element of many scam listings.

i found several times pics on craiglist that were copied from legit ebay auctions. in that case you can not see from the pictures that it is a scam.

i would recommend to contact the seller, meet at your bank, check the machine (easy with a notebook) and then go with the seller INTO the bank, you withdraw the cash, have him sign a reciept and everybody goes their way. that avoids the risk that you get robbed with $1500 in your pocket.
the seller also never gets to know your account information.

of course you only buy a machine if the seller has the install disks, reciept/packaging slip and most/all accessories to make sure the machine isn't stolen.

if the seller is unwilling to meet you at a bank then something is wrong and i would pass on the deal. picking up the machine and paying cash at his home is something i would not do as a women and not without a strong friend or two on my side.

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
The beauty of Craigslist is that local sellers can connect with local buyers. If the seller isn't local then you shouldn't deal with them. You should go through ebay instead where at least you have some protection.

If they are local then they should have no problem meeting up with you to let you check out the goods. If all is well you pay and take your item with you. I wouldn't use Craiglist to do any transaction where I couldn't drive to see the product. Period.

Good Luck

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
While there are tons of people on the internet who do not utilize proper grammar, this is another way I've seen tons of times. The scammers tend to use horrible English and not follow any capitalization/punctuation scheme known to man as a whole.

They also tend to never state the item by name, or will not mention you by name. That's an easy way to tell that it is a form letter.

For example: "Dear buyer, the item is in escrow in your location." Notice there are no specifics, which is one thing that tips me off. Same thing goes when selling on Craigslist; you'll find they're never specific because its simply a formmail they wrote a long time ago.

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I find that fraud artists tend to offer the latest gear. If you are looking to buy something that is a few years old, then it is likely legitimate.

bhern53

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
BMW scam via craigslist

this guy is selling a 2000 BMW $2980. too good to be true
I asked for verification the Bike existed, a paper trail
no response so far but I'm sure many may have taken the worm
listed: 9/7/7 nashville TN. USA
sweet deal but still a scam
seller and agent listed below
**notice Agents street address been used on other scams
Seller Details: First Name: Peter
Last Name: Wilson
Street: 96 Mount Street
City: London
Zip code: W1Y 5HG
MoneyBookers Agent Details:
You have to send the payment to:
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Daniells
Street: 180 Brockley Road
City: London
Zip code: SE4 2RR

hjs

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Just avoided one of these

Here's one currently on Craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/565105709.html

When I got instructions to pay (via WesternUnion) some third party, supposedly an agent with MoneyBookers in the UK, I figured something was up. This is almost exactly the same as one reported above (Mac Pro w/30" display). I just reported it to the I3C.

fov86

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Craigslist buy

Guys,
Buying a 17" Mac Book Pro 2,66ghz, 4gb RAM, 512mb Nvidia, For 2450 bucks.
Apparently its sealed and the Serial Code checks out with Apple.
Any thoughts?

concerning this thread I also had someone tell me he had Craigslist insurance. watch out!

Thanks

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Guys,
Buying a 17" Mac Book Pro 2,66ghz, 4gb RAM, 512mb Nvidia, For 2450 bucks.
Apparently its sealed and the Serial Code checks out with Apple.
Any thoughts?

concerning this thread I also had someone tell me he had Craigslist insurance. watch out!

Thanks

There is no such thing as craigslist insurance.
"sealed" means nothing - it could be a box full of rocks.

armbpr

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Almost robbed and almost scammed

A couple of weeks ago we arranged to meet a seller with an iPad for sale. it turned out that the same person had robbed (at gunpoint in Little Rock) someone else responding to the same ad. We were lucky. I arranged to meet them in front of a busy Walgreens and I guess they were scared off by a patrol car that happened to be cruising nearby.

Today we were almost scammed:

MUST SEE AppleCare Imac With Box 10/10 CONDITION - $770 (little rock)
Date: 2012-08-23, 9:45PM CDT
Reply to this post 6hxbv-3173729660@sale.craigslist.org [
The computer is under Apple care.
Also includes Windows operating system
ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS CONTACT ME REGARDING MY ITEM!!!!!
Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM 2000GB HD plus 256 GB SSD

The first email said:

On Sep 12, 2012, at 4:13 PM, "Roxanne Warner" <roxanne.warner@email-arbutuscollege.com> wrote:

Hi, I am getting back to you regarding the 21.5-inch iMac from Craigslist

My name is Roxanne and I am now in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The iMac is still available and I hope you are still interested.
I am selling the iMac for $600 US. I have attached some pics with it to this email.
It's 2.80 GHZ i7, has 16 GB of RAM, 512 MB of Video Memory, 2 TB of storage and another 256 GB SSD so it can boot faster.
The iMac was bought brand new from Apple a couple of months ago.
About the iMac I can say it's in perfect shape, as I used it only for a few weeks. Included in the $600 price is everything that came with the iMac and also the warranty papers.
I tried to be as thorough as I could with the presentation so you can have all the info if you decide to go ahead and buy it. So what do you think? Do you want my imac?

Thanks,
Roxanne

This morning this email arrived:

From: Roxanne Warner <roxanne.warner@email-arbutuscollege.com>
Date: September 13, 2012 2:40:39 AM CDT
To:
Subject: Re: the 21.5" iMac from Craigslist $600

Hi ,

I won't come back home so soon.
I was checking for a way to make the exchange from here to you in the US and I came across this option, which is a very good way to make this exchange.
It's provide by a company called Interparcel and it will help us with this transaction.
They seem designed specifically for internet transactions, they handle both the payment and delivery part of this transaction. They seem pretty nice and trustworthy and they provide a service that we can use for our exchange.
The link below is from Interparcel website and it explains their procedure. Please check the link and the procedure and let me know if you agree to the terms.

http://www.vancouverca-interparcel.com/en_language.internet.transactions/third.party.html

With this procedure Interparcel will deliver the iMac to you, receive your payment and I will receive the payment for the iMac only after you instruct them to do so.
I will pay the shipping.
Let me know if we can proceed.

Thanks.

I checked for Craigslist scams and found one almost identical to this but for a Macbook Pro.

$600 with free shipping for an almost new $2,500 iMac still under warranty? They got too greedy and this deal was far too good to be true.

Darn,

Jerry

UPDATE: The listing now shows "This posting has been flagged for removal."

Last edited:

jmacproi7

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Same thing hit over the weekend in Omaha and Lincoln Craiglists - I reported both pages as spam, but the Omaha listing came back up.

Here's what it looks like:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/sys/3290568266.html
Welcome!
Havent used it much besides doing music.
Great Condition! e-mail me for specs, pics and details.
Purchased new from Apple 2 months ago.
Intel core i7 2.80 ghz
2000gb HD 256GB SSD
16GB RAM
512MB AMD Radeon HD 6770M Video
Bluetooth capable
iWork '09
Movie editing software Final Cut Express 4
HDMI DisplayPort Cable
It has APPLECARE.
Mac OS Lion preinstalled (disc included).

And the following e-mail came back:
Roxanne Warner ✆ roxanne.warner@email-arbutuscollege.com

Sep 23 (1 day ago)

to me
Hi, I am getting back to you regarding the 21.5-inch iMac from Craigslist

My name is Roxanne and I am now in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The iMac is still available and I hope you are still interested.
I am selling the iMac for $600 US. I have attached some pics with it to this email.
It's 2.80 GHZ i7, has 16 GB of RAM, 512 MB of Video Memory, 2 TB of storage and another 256 GB SSD so it can boot faster.
The iMac was bought brand new from Apple a couple of months ago.
About the iMac I can say it's in perfect shape, as I used it only for a few weeks. Included in the $600 price is everything that came with the iMac and also the warranty papers.
I tried to be as thorough as I could with the presentation so you can have all the info if you decide to go ahead and buy it. So what do you think? Do you want my imac?

Thanks,
Roxanne

Last edited:

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
So if I am selling a 27" imac and prefer to meet in public, would it be just too weird to meet at a Panera or Starbucks so they can try out internet? Or what are some other good locations to be able to plug in the imac so they can try it out, and I could just tether to my smart phone?

Maybe a library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.