Buying a Mac on CREDIT !!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Dec 26, 2007.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I want to buy a new Macbook or Macbook Pro next summer. I feel attracted to buy it in monthly installments. (My brother has said that it could be paid with his capital one credit card).

As I was looking at the Apple website I saw that one can do a purchase in monthly installments with the Juniper Visa Card.

I wonder if my brother´s credit card can be used to do the payment.

Thank you,

igmolinav.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I wouldn't advise it--and certainly not with the Juniper card. Just save! At least until you've got 75% of the money. The stress you face from having unpaid bills just isn't worth it.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

you can use whatever kind of credit card you like

4. mpw Guest

Start saving now(unless you waiting until then due to your income starting in the summer) and you'll have the bulk of the money by the summer.

I'd STRONGLY advise against any credit, especially if you're young.

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Skip the Juniper card, they use double cycle billing which is a gimmick to squeeze money out of you.

Only buy on credit if you can use a card with 0% interest thru the duration of your payments. Even still, I would just advise saving....if you're not going to get it until 6 months from now, then you're better off saving and paying it all at once.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I'm probably going to buy a new Apple laptop on credit, but plan to pay it off 100% with the first bill.

7. termina3 macrumors 65816

To the OP:

Loans from credit cards (i.e. not paying off in full each month) have terrible conditions. Seek a loan from your bank, which will have considerably better terms.

... that's not really buying on credit. You might as well use a charge card.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

buying a computer on credit is like buying confederate money hoping it's value will increase.

you will end up paying close to twice the amount of the computer, and will take 3-4 years to pay off.

save up like i did. its worth the wait for the day the fedex guy asks for your signature.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

While I understand your desire to buy a new Mac as soon as possible, I would urge you to try and pay for it in cash if possible.

That said, if you really need/want it now then atleast do the financing through your local credit union or bank.

10. theman macrumors 6502a

Important advice: NEVER use a credit card to borrow money. Use it as a convenient way to pay (easier than cash, check, etc.). ALWAYS pay 100% of your balance each month or you will get slammed with interest and end up losing thousands. SAVE your money. Besides, they are coming out with a new MBP soon, so you shouldn't buy now anyway.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's safer to buy by credit in such cases, as you get better protection if things turn sour than if you pay by debit.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Not quite. That's how i do it. I use my credit card all month for all my purchases and then pay the balance in full at the end of the cycle. This way, I use their money for free all month (since i'm not carrying a balance, I never pay interest) while my money keeps gaining interest.

I mean, you could do it the other way and get reamed on interest....but I don't like paying more for things than I have to. More importantly, though, is this builds my credit history (the whole using my credit card instead of debit card/cash) thing. I have an extremely good credit score and I've just graduated from college this past may.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Juniper does not accept everyone. Its just as hard to get a Juniper card as it is to get any other card, the only difference is that the Juniper card sucks. Anyone who qualifies for a Juniper card could easily get a much better card somewhere else from a real bank.

Dont be fooled in thinking you can get a Juniper card just because it says you can pay 10 bucks a month or whatever in the bottom corner. If youve never had a card before then you wont be getting your first from Juniper, and you very likely wont get a credit limit large enough for a computer. First cards usually have very low limits and it can be extremely difficult to get one that isnt a student credit card.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that's a good idea, particularly if you get points for rewards or cash back or whatever.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks like someone else has it down. ;)

16. termina3 macrumors 65816

Let's get this straight... y'all seem to think charge card=debit card. This has led to me looking like an idiot who can't tell red from black.

There are three prevalent plastics out there:

Credit: Visa, MC, select Amex, etc.
    • Option to pay off in full at end of billing cycle
    • option to pay a minimum, and take a loan on the remainder
    Charge: American Express, Diner's Club (does anyone even use it anymore?)
    • MUST pay off at end of billing cycle
    • same protections as credit, if not better
    • often carries an annual fee
    Debit: Your bank
    • Deducts direct from your checking account
    • Few or no fraud or theft protections

17. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you to you all for the information : ) !!!

18. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

19. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

get it at best buy

and get the best buy credit card

no payments/interest for 3 months

that will give you 3 months to pay it off

20. macdim macrumors 6502

21. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

not that im aware off

(source: im work at best buy)

and we always offer our card

cause it gives you 3 months to pay stuff off with no interest which is good

but after the 3months if you dont pay it back...its a huge interest

22. macdim macrumors 6502

Is that the only benefit? 3 months without paying? No other in-store incentives (example: percent off purchases over a certain amount, etc.)?

23. KiraDouji macrumors member

KiraDouji

Actually, Amex offers both credit and charge now. And if you can get a card with them it's still considered fairly impressive.

- Kira

24. Mylstar macrumors member

When I bought my MBP last November, I had the cash in hand but used my Amex Blue card. Paid it off when I got the bill. I got 5000 rewards points from Amex which is equal to a $50 gift card for store in their rewards catalog.
    So, yes, save and pay cash for the new Mac. CC's are nothing but trouble if you carry a balance.

25. deboni macrumors member

deboni

warranty doubling

If you're thinking about using a credit card to pay for a big purchase (others have already provided opinions I agree with about that), here's another consideration: some credit cards offer a warranty doubling benefit. I have one that does, and it saved me money when a LaCie disk drive I bought failed for the second time just before the second year of ownership was up. The card doubled their one-year warranty, and I got a new drive free.

This is a substantial benefit, as good IMHO as airline miles or other points. If you combine it with some interest-free time interval, and pay the balance off before interest is due, a credit card purchase can be a good deal.

Tom