Buying a Mac Pro but Not a Display!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Jan 26, 2008.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Hey guys!

I'm about to spend some good money on a Mac Pro and I still see that Apple is supposed to update its display series. Do any of you think that it's worth buying instead to go with a Dell or any other companies? I'm keeping my old 1.8 G5 display for now for my new Mac Pro, I also wanted to know if, by doing this, the display will be some how different on my old monitor.

2. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

if you're happy with your current monitor and there is no specific need to upgrade, i'd say just use that and wait to see what happens, no point buying a new monitor for apple to release something super duper next month or something.. i know a lot of people who still use apple's older monitors, and they work fine.

3. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

What are the back draws of buying an apple monitor right now?

4. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Updated Apple Cinema Displays might house a built-in iSight camera as well as experience a price drop. Other than those, I don't see any drawbacks to buying now. They're a great screen that look very sharp.

5. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I doubt they will have built in iSight cameras especially as quite a few companies prohibit any form of web camera on company property. These are the types of display that those companies will go for.

7. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I'm thinking optional iSight cameras... And just maybe a (*optional*) glossy screen redesign.. (call me crazy, but I love to speculate)

8. zdobson macrumors 6502

None, really. Some people think they should be cheaper, or have iSight (get an iMac, losers), or have more inputs, blah blah blah. If you just want to hook up a monitor to use with your computer and want it to look GREAT for photo editing or video, an ACD is a good buy. If you want to save a little money, you can get a Dell or NEC or HP and they will be good, too.

9. Norco macrumors regular

The current ACD's don't support HDCP, that means you can't watch BluRay or HD-DVD's on a display. Not a big deal at present, but could be not too far in the future when high definition starts to become standard in computers.

10. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I've always thought that ACDs were poor values, but I've never had the need to do any really color-accurate stuff, etc. I do hear that they use very top quality displays, but I think that too many other companies have too many good displays -- I've never had a problem with a Dell display and am currently using a Westinghouse (pretty bottom of the range) 19" and a Samsung 22" that is pretty amazing.

I say unless you know why you want/need an ACD specifically, go with another brand.

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

12. itou macrumors regular

as with many similar products in the market, there are the generic type, and then there are the better type. both make the same thing, and both will fundamentally do the same thing, i.e.: the purpose is the same.

the only difference is that the better type will make you feel better (design, colour, reputation, quality, etc.). but it comes at a cost. whether or not you can justify that cost is ultimately up to what you "want", not on what you "need" and what you can afford.

cars: toyota - mercedes benz
    speakers: jvc - bang & olufsen
    pens: bic - mont blanc
    clothes: gap - prada
    displays: dell - apple cinema

very simple.

13. ray_uk macrumors member

The others arent as stylish but

The others arent as stylish but they are nearly half the price of the Apple cinema display, plus you get an extra inch on most 24" inchers, like the Dell, Acer or Samsung, their all worth considering. The response rate on most of these is going to be faster as well.