buying a mac soon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TDHXXX, Jul 3, 2009.

1. TDHXXX macrumors regular

hey, soon i'm getting a 15" macbook pro
    http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTE4NDY
    the second one on this page.

but today i found out that the screens are apparently terrible? as in they can only display 250,000+ colours as opposed to the claimed 'millions'?

does anyone know anything about this? the only information is on models released 2 years ago... who knows how many upgrades there have been since then.

i will be using this laptop while at uni where i am doing a multimedia design degree.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Go to your local Apple Store...see for yourself.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. That's the 13". You don't have to worry.
    2. If you're doing anything where you really needed the colors, you wouldn't use a laptop's screen, anyway.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The maximum amount of colours a Macbook or Macbook Pro can display is 262,000.

It's because they use 6 bit display panels, not 8 bit panels. Apple is being cheap again.

Apple using dithering to attempt to simulate other colours by smoothing out the colour gradient.

You'll definitely notice the dithering if you are looking at a high quality photo.

Other than that, they're the best 6 bit displays I've seen.

You can hook it up to an external 8 bit display and everything will be fine.

5. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

alright, thanks.

i know i'd need something better for when i'm working with colours, but i plan on getting that after i finish my degree, this is just for running too and from uni and working at home.

6. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

also i can hook this up to an external screen if i need better colours, right?

if i do this will it slow everything down? (running two screens)

7. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Two screen shouldn't slow your mac down. It doesn't on mine.