Buying a Mac tax free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Faux Carnival, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hello, I'm visiting New York from outside the US. I'm planning to buy a Mac but without paying tax. Unfortunately I don't have a shipping address here. So online order isn't an option.

What can I do? Every opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

If Boston is on your itinerary, take a trip to New Hampshire. If Philadelphia is, then try Delaware. Avoiding sales tax in NY is difficult because they aggressively go after merchants (online and otherwise).

3. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily, Boston is in my itinerary. Does New Hampshire Apple Store have stocks on iPads and Macbook Airs?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Probably the best bet is to call them. There are two, and the closest is about 35 miles from Boston in Salem, NH, so it would work best if you are renting a car. Sales tax is 6.25% in Massachusetts, so factor that in unless you were planning to rent a car to see some of the outer sights, anyway.

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

Most Apple Stores have the base model MacBook Airs and iPad models in stock, so for Airs, they would have the two base 11" models (2/64 and 4/128 - Core i5), and the 4/128 and 4/256 Core i5 13" models).

The suburban stores (like New Hampshire) may or may not have the highest-end "Ultimate" models. Sometimes they do, but the sales people don't know it, so if they say they don't ask them to take a look anyway. If you are looking for a 256GB 11" or a Core i7 model, call in advance. They may be able to order it and have it waiting for you in the store, but usually they ship it to an address.

5. TypeEE macrumors member

Buying from amazon is also tax free for most of the states.

6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

But not in NY.

7. vader_slri macrumors regular

OP stated that they won't have a shipping address to ship to while in the US, hence the search for a retail store in a tax-free state.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

You are staying somewhere. hip there or to he hotel. Do ovenight by 10:30

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Got my MBA in New Hampshire from a Best Buy (with student discount) :D

10. KPOM macrumors G5

That's not always possible since the credit card company might block it, thinking it's a fraudulent transaction.

11. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would love to have it shipped to my hotel but almost no website ships to a hotel address. Amazon, bestbuy, macmall, none of them...

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You trying to avoid paying sales tax might cost you more than just buying it in MA. 6.25% sales tax? Really? Man that's low.