Buying a Mac tommorrow and need some help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cfd954, Sep 7, 2006.


Which is the most Reliable, Flexable and has less issues with heat?

  1. MacBook

    6 vote(s)
  2. MacBook Pro 15"

    11 vote(s)
  1. cfd954 macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    I have been searching around of late and thought that I had settled on buying a 15" MacBook Pro however I have been finding that they seem to suffer from heat issues and warping. While heat is understandable it does bother me alittle bit, however the warping issue is what would really lead me not to want to buy the MacBook Pro. So what I am wondering is if the MBP is still showing these difficulties along with the processor whine issues and if it would make more sense to buy a Black MacBook insead of the MBP. Also my local Apple Store was out of MacBooks and just got a whole new stock in, should those have RSS issues? I am also loooking at buying a stock configuration and adding additional ram down the road and possibly doing a hard drive upgrade as well.

    My Use

    School (Graphic Design / Photography) - I use Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom
    Creating / Editing home movies, iMovie would probably suffice
    Internet, Email, Office, Music
    Web Site Design

    With all this in mind which "laptop" would be the most reliable and flexable. I appreciate all input, plus I am looking for something that I can take to class with me as well. I believe that both would fit that bill but if there are some students out there who have some input on that please let me know as well.
  2. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

    Jul 28, 2006
    the 15" is too bulky for my taste especially for walking around campus.
  3. NATO macrumors 68000


    Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I'd recommend the MacBook Pro 15" for you given the tasks you have mentioned
  4. briantology macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2006
    At least wait till next Tuesday to see what Apple has to offer for new updates on MBs and MBPs
  5. Xander562 macrumors 68000


    Apr 2, 2006
    RAM will be easy to upgrad in the Macbook Pro and EXTREMELY easy in the Macbook. However it will be impossible to upgrade the HDD in the Macbook PRo without voiding your warrantee. i would suggest getting an external Hard Drive instead. also i would reccommend a MBP for your uses.
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    i like my MBP so that's why i chose it. while this hasn't been proven, i think apple has had an easier time with the MBPs because they are very similar to the PowerBooks whereas the MacBooks are pretty much an entirely new computer. that's why i think apple has done a better job with the MBPs.
  7. cfd954 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    For those who have recommended the MBP how are the heat issues and the warping in the latest version?
  8. clevin macrumors G3


    Aug 6, 2006
    lol, only people who used both can vote for your question
  9. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Until they change the material it will ALWAYS warp.
  10. cfd954 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    I have read a few places online about prople having major problems with heat and warping, with this in mind is the MacBook Pro still a good buy or would it be better to go with the MacBook which is less vulnerable to this and also has better battery life as well as a user changable hard drive?
  11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006

    At the moment I can tell you my MBP is running VERY hot at burning your hand point :(
  12. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    I would wait until at least the new MBPs come out first to see what I could potentially be passing up on, but yeah personally I find the MBs to be great computers, apart from the keyboard which I don't really like that much.
  13. cfd954 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    At this point I don't really think that the bump in processor speed would help me out all that much plus college started this week so I really need to get something now instead of waiting for Apple to release something else. Plus others have said that the newer chips run hotter than the Core Duo which would seem to be a very big problem if Apple is already having problems with heat.
  14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816


    Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    I'm an Engineering major. I decided that I didn't want to have to deal with any potential heat issues with Macbook so I am between getting a PC lappy (HP or Toshiba) or an iMac. Macbook Pros are too bulky to carry around for me. There is Wifi everywhere on my campus but I have to carry heavy books with me everywhere so the iMac is looking better and better. I figure that that I can sell it in a few months at a minimal loss if I decide that I must have a laptop. This way, I can either get a Macbook once the bugs are ironed out or I can opt for a PC laptop if the iMac just doesn't work for me. After next Tuesday I am going to make my decision because I have been waiting since I sold my 12" Powerbook in May...Good luck with your purchase!
  15. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816


    Aug 14, 2006
    waiting for the merom macbook pros is pointless. the chips are swapable, this would not be the time for a case re-design and the performance increase is not that large. if you're waiting for a new case, get a used ibook and wait for santa rosa...
  16. matttrick macrumors 6502

    Aug 28, 2006

    i thought the chips were not swappable
  17. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Uh, i'd really like to see you try to swap a chip in a MBP.

    Waiting for merom is NOT pointless, since they will be more than likely announced in 5 days.
  18. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816


    Aug 14, 2006
    I did not mean I could swap the chip, I was saying Apple can swap the chip. As in, they do not need to re-configure the interior of the Macbook Pro to accommodate the new processor. And all I was saying is, if you need it- get it. If we were on the verge of Santa Rosa I'd say WAIT 100%, now, I'm saying if you have time to wait, go right ahead.
  19. twoodcc macrumors P6


    Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i voted for Macbook. i take mine to class, and it's much better than my 15" powerbook.

    just my 2 cents
  20. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

    Dec 20, 2003
    just remember photoshop CS2 is slow on the MacBook (3x slower than my G5 when converting 10Mpix raw into tiff)

    I have other issues with it (yellowing, yes even the spare they installed is yellowing...) and everymorning I have the shutdownproblem, once I rebooted it it works fine until I shut it down myself and restart it... but they will fix it & the yellowing part will be replaced -again- and then I hope all the problems will be fixed...


Share This Page