Buying a Mac while visiting the US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stuzzy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. stuzzy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few questions.
    I'm a native of Sweden currently living in Spain. I'm on the look out for a new MacBook Pro and will be visiting the US soon. I know about taxes when taking it back to the EU - so there's no need to warn me there.

Questions:
    1. As I want the closest thing to a Swedish keyboard layout, I can see that the US Online Apple Store offers the Danish layout, which would be fine for me. Could I order that online and have it delivered to an adress I will be available at, and how long does that normally take?
    2. Will a swedish/spanish credit card work or does it have to be an american one?

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I'm guessing your delivery address and billing address need to line up. Sometimes you can set that up with your bank/credit card company. Or you could get a friend in the states to order it for you and you just pay them back.

Out of curiosity, how will the EU know about your purchase? I would think that it would become a carry-on once you bought it and started using it, or am I missing something?

3. stuzzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured about the billing adress. Not sure how to fix that. Perhaps use a service online.

They won’t really know if you just go ahead and remove any packaging, but many people will inform you of this when asking about purchasing in other countries, so I just wanted to say I’m aware of the rules and laws already :)

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I was gonna say, does the taxman check your home for new stuff or something?! :p

5. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

No, it's one of those things that catches honest folks when asked if they have anything to "declare" when going through customs.

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

1. Yes you should be able to use the US Online Apple Store to ship to any normal US address. However, Apple is known to not ship to packaging forward services. As for time, it depends. If you get a BTO/CTO model then it has to be built somewhere and then shipped, so it could be a long time. If you get a default model with no changes, then the time only depends on inventory availability and the type of shipping you elect to choose, which can be quite fast if there is inventory. Danish keyboard layout sounds like it would trigger a BTO/CTO order, but I don't know.

2. Yes, foreign cards are fine.