Buying a mac with uni discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ri0ku, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Is it illegal to buy a mac for someone (my girlfriend) using HER uni discount but me paying with my money?

The guy from apple on the phone didn't seem to say anything when I said I would be buying it for her.

If I did this using her uni discount, would I be able to use the machine too? or in a years time could she give it to me if she got a newer model ? or is that illegal?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you qualify for the education discount, you can do anything with your Mac after you buy it. The discount applies to purchasing only, not selling or giving a Mac to someone else. Once you own it, you own it.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lol, its not illegal. There are no Apple police that are going to arrest you for this.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iCops? :D

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

iForce - Police? lol

6. TjeuV macrumors 6502

If you want to make it perfectly legal, there should be an agreement that she will be the full owner of the computer. But I don't think they will make a big fuzz about it ...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No such agreement is necessary. There is nothing in Apple's policies that restrict a buyer from giving or selling their Mac to anyone. It's perfectly legal and ethical to do so.

8. TjeuV macrumors 6502

It's contract law I'm talking about ;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter. There is no "contract" between a Mac buyer and Apple that says anything about what they will do with their computer.

10. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll try to explain it to you ...
    Person A wants to buy a computer for B from C

C offers a student discount to students.
    B is a student and has right for a student discount.
    A is not a student and has no right for a student discount.

A is possible to fund B a computer with discount if B is going to be the full owner. When you want to make it perfectly legal, there's a simple contract for that.

but again ... I'm talking strictly legal but I guess you missed that in my first reply. As I also stated in my first reply: They won't make a big fuzz about it ... but as it turns out, you will.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no contract. Period. Parents pay for Macs bought by students under the EDU discount. Students buy Macs under EDU and give them to parents or sell them when they're through with them. It makes no difference at all. The only requirement Apple makes is that you qualify for the discount at the time of purchase. It makes no difference where the money came from or where the computer goes or who owns it or who uses it. None. There is no contract of any kind involved. There is no legal issue involved, whatsoever.

12. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Ever heard that a contract isn't required to be a piece of paper ?
    I'm mastering in Law and studied the three party contracts very well. So please ... give it a break

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I figured you were a law school student, trying to display what you're beginning to learn. :rolleyes: There is no law or contract, verbal or written, express or implied, involved in this thread's topic. So please, go back to your homework.

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

http://store.apple.com/us_edu_29846/open/salespolicies/edu

A little ambiguous if that means purchases can't be resold by institutions only or by the education individual who did the original purchase... but regardless, there is a sales 'contract' and they reserve the right to audit your purchase.

But then again, I've never heard of anyone getting audited and people abuse the system all the time.

15. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Guys I spoke with Apple, they confirmed someone can buy the mac using student discount and give the machine to someone else who is not a student etc.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not what's being discussed in this thread. That simply means an institution or reseller business can't hide their purchases behind a student, to gain the discount. It does not in any way restrict a student from giving or selling their Mac to anyone. Apple can audit the purchase only to the extent that they ensure that the buyer meets the qualifications for the discount. It doesn't give them the right to audit what the student does with their computer, once the purchase is completed.
    Exactly!

17. iStudentUK, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

To caveat this slightly, UK students should note this is not the case here. There is a requirement in Apple's UK T&Cs that the device is intended to be used by a student at the time of purchase (they can sell on later though). If a student purchased a device knowing it would immediately go to a friend then that would breach the terms. What Apple would do, if anything, if they found out is another matter.

More specifically on the OPs point, another person can by on a student's behalf though (eg parents, for a gift etc). Best to do over the phone in the UK to get the benefit of the three year warranty. Details in my sig.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Depending on the employees and the buyers, they might not even bother checking for a school ID. It's also not entirely unusual for people to haggle non-EDU purchases down to the same price :)

19. Frosticus, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Do it.

Not at all.

I did exactly this when getting my new iMac. My girlfriend came with me to the Apple Store, she presented her student ID to get the discount and I paid for it.

Don't feel bad or worry about it - I saved a fortune doing this, and the Apple Store staff didn't seem to mind at all.

20. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

They also don't really verify online purchases, although they did verify ADC student memberships lol.

21. smali macrumors regular

I don't know anyone personally who has paid full price for a Mac. Either haggle on phone or get someone with a Student card to help buy you one.

I bought my last Macbook at the local store, took my student friend along and told the Apple guy I was buying for myself and got a nice discount. He didn't care one bit.

I just don't get the RAGE displayed by those who feel ethically superior who say its wrong. Why do you care at all?