Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moonwalking, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Moonwalking macrumors newbie

Hey,

I will be buying a mac but I'm unsure on whether I should get an iMac 21 inch or a MacBook air 13 inch

- The reason I'm mainly leaning towards the MacBook air is because I will be going unniversity in a year and i wouldn't want to take an iMac if I have to live out

- I have an iPad which I'm currently using but im unsure if it will be suitable for unniversity as whilst I've produced all of my school notes and coursework (for these courseworks I had to add footnotes, spacing and page numbers which I did in pages) on it I'm worried at unniversity that it'll be a major step up in terms of notes and essays

- I do a lot of graphic art and I'll be using pixelmator. Can the MacBook air handle pixelmator, the art I will be doing won't be to intense

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Wait for the iMac to be updated before making your move. You'll appreciate being able to lug the Air around, although taking notes in class using your iPad and a keyboard case of some kind might also do the trick. Flip a coin to decide. If the result of the coin toss is a disappointment you'll know you already decided what to do.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Macbook air can easily handle pixelmator, no problem.

I would go with the air, i'm guessing uni starts quite soon for you too? you don't want to be hanging around waiting for that iMac that might not turn up.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

The iPad will not be suitable for university by itself since you will have to ely on AirPrint enabled printers, Windows, and Microsoft Office. So it's a good thing you're considering other devices.

As previously recommended, I would wait until the new "iMacs come out" as long a they do so before the fall term begins. That way, you'll have a better comparison and if your university has a computer store, you should get some sort of discount through them.

If I were the one making the decision though, I would go with a 13" MBP. Some textbooks still come with CDs/DVDs and the included ODD(although some would argue is unnecessary) is a bonus and a welcome one at that if you decide to travel abroad where not everything is available as a digital download.