Buying a Macbook 2010 with cracks in the housing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenjen, Jan 15, 2014.

1. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying a cheap Macbook White for my mother, but so far I've only found ones with cracks in the body (as this seems to be really common with white MacBooks). Now my question is, how deep do these cracks usually go? I mean, are they cosmetic cracks in the coating (or something) or do they actually go all the way through the plastic?
    I've attached a picture I've gotten from a seller. Does this look bad? I don't mind a cosmetic fault, I obviously just don't want it to get bigger and bigger so that I have to replace the screen or something.

Ps. I just realized that the Macbook sub forum was a better place for this thread....

Attached Files:

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, this looks like the optical drive slot. Since the crack goes down all the way to the bottom and is end to end, it'll most likely not extend. However, too much tension on the point can cause it to crack in the other direction. That crack will go all the way to the keyboard. I would advise against it.

Raptor

3. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Uhm I think you weren't looking right. That is the hinge of the display. The crack is a small crack going up the display. (it's on the left side of the photo on the preview, and on the top when zoomed in.).

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Oh. Okay. I was confused for a moment. The crack looks small, but it's sure to grow, especially since it's right at the hinge (though the hinge extends inside the lid so there might not be that much pressure at that point.

However, the crack won't cast any damage onto the LCD panel. Even if it extends, the display will work just fine.

Best of luck.

Raptor

5. fenjen, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Thanks for the info, but do you think the crack is only on the surface, or does it actually go all the way trough?