Buying a Macbook Air 2013

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArthurLibeert, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ArthurLibeert macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm planning of buying a Macbook air 13" ( 2013 model )

I really don't know if i should upgrade my macbook.

Should i upgrade the ram, upgrade the SSD or my CPU ?

I would use my macbook especially for

- Webbrowsing ( Youtube, Facebook, ... )
    - Maybe for college i should buy parralell for Windows 7 or 8 ( but i don't really know if this will be necessary )
    - Mail
    - Watching movies on it ( I would buy a external drive )
    - Listening music on Itunes. ( about 1000 songs max )
    - Maybe some gaming, like League of Legends ( but nothing harder then that )

I thought it would be okay for an 128 GB but when i'm looking at my old pc right now i see i'm using about 270 GB ( 100 GB of Movies )

Okay it's an old laptop and i download alot of stuff that i don't really use.

Thank u guy's for ur time.

And help me out ;)

2. collinmac macrumors member

stick with the i5, add the extra 4GB Ram to take you to 8gb and keep the hard drive at 256GB.

Maybe look at getting a small external drive to store movies as they do not require a ton of bandwidth or speed to watch. It's a lot cheaper than upgrading from 256GB to 512gb which is around $300

3. ArthurLibeert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for ur respone. But the upgrade to 8 GB ram is this neccesary or is it just in case i should use a parralell? 256GB i can understand, so it's not possible to put everything on a external ? U really need more space.

4. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Getting the 8GB of RAM would be the single most important upgrade that you could get on a MacBook Air as you can not upgrade the ram at a later date. (the ram is soldered on the main board). I definitely would recommend getting the upgrade.

5. ArthurLibeert thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you.

And should i also upgrade my SSD to 256 ?

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

That's up to you. If you can afford it, why not. The 128GB and 256GB aren't going to perform differently, just hold more files. So only you can decide if you'll use the extra 128GB or not.

Alternatively, you can stick with 128GB and extend your storage via SD card (64GB, but slow) or put the money toward some type of network attached storage setup (or heck, even a USB 3.0 portable HDD).

7. ArthurLibeert thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i don't really know how much i really use.

My pc has now 170 GB of usage.. But their is alot of things i never use.
    + Pictures, music from my sisters ..

I will buy a external 1 TB but i don't know if u can put alot of things on that.
    I mean u have like Apps on it that u can't put on ur external. But like Movies, i can easly switch when i saw an movie.

( Sorry for my english .. ^^)

8. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

You can easily expand the storage of your computer with external drives, even external SSD drives, at a later date. Unless you have the extra $$$ now, I would hold off on the bigger SSD.