Price Advice Buying a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Geminist, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Geminist macrumors member

Hello All

After doing some looking around for a super portable, I have finally settled on a MacBook Air. I am thinking of the 13 inch MBA and worth pointing out this will be my first Apple Laptop.

As I am currently a part time student, I checked and I actually qualify for the best Apple Discount.

What I am slightly unsure of is the resale value as I've read and searched where apparently a 2-3 year old working Apple Laptop can fetch about 40-50% of the purchase value. Is this true as I've just checked a small sample?

One of the reason for me going to a Mac is the resale value so I am interested to hear where do people in the UK (this is where I live) sell their used laptops other than eBay? And how easy it is to sell this? Do people really buy it at this sort of price as I've seen quite a few empty bids.

Many thanks for your help!

2. jj48 macrumors regular

Sorry I can't help you on the re-sale advice, but keep it in good condition and you should be fine! Compare what you might be able to get for it to the re-sale value of an equivalent windows machine and I doubt there is much competition (happy to be corrected on this though).

Just thought I'd weigh in because I was in a virtually identical situation to you a few months ago. I bought it and haven't looked back since. It has been brilliant.