Buying A MacBook, But Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jhranicky88, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. jhranicky88 macrumors newbie

    Jul 1, 2007
    I have decided to make the jump. I'm currently using a DELL Inspiron E1505 with Vista and I have decided to sell it and buy a MacBook. I'm going to college and I think that it would fit me perfectly. Perfect size and if I have any software issues I can just use Boot Camp and run XP or 2000. Anyways to the question. The MacBook Pros just got the new SR treatment with LED displays. Should I go a head and buy a MacBook now or give it a month or 2 and see if Apple updates them?
  2. velocityg4 macrumors 601


    Dec 19, 2004
    If the current Macbook will suit your needs and you need it now then buy it. If it does not meet your needs or you can wait then do so. There is always an update around the corner.

    It's not like the next revision will be mind boggling, most likely a light bump in specs. The update won't be anything like dual nVidia 8800 Ultra SLI, octo-core 4 GHz, 32GB DDR3 1200mhz, 300GB Solid State hard drive, 1/4in thin, 0.2lbs, 20 Year Charge Plutonium battery. Though that would be badass:cool: .
  3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    There's a rumor that Apple will update the macbook in October, with features including a much thinner design, and iPhone multi-touch technology. And I'm hoping for an integrated graphics update... the GMA 950 doesn't cut it.

    So I'm waiting to update my 12" PB. It's up to you.
  4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Feb 5, 2007
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Here's my decision, I want a MB,black, that's the deal, what am I waiting for?
    Leopard, Penyrun chips with Flash memory added, and ultimately LED screens.
    At 59 I am long past school, and have 2 desktops I built that scream. You can't believe how fast things move with a 10,000 RPM HDD.(ones a Intel P-4, other's a AMD Single Core 3700)
    A MB w Penryn and flash, and a Core 2 Duo S/B as fast w/o a 10,000 RPM HDD. (the AMD boots XP Pro in 25 sec, (OC'd to 3.0 with a Zalman 9700)
    The MB things I want are next year sometime, but you've got school in the Fall. If I were you use the Dell, like I'll use my desktops, to wait it out till we can get what we want.
    While I wait, I get a widescreen/touchscreen i-pod to replace my 3 year old shuffle-Yeah, I'm waiting for that as well:( :apple:
  5. drake macrumors 6502a


    Jul 5, 2005
    Screw the touch screen, who wants finger prints all over their laptop screen. Not me. Faster, lighter, with better graphics and battery life and I'm laughing. :p
  6. jhranicky88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 1, 2007
    I just don't want to fork over $1400 for a Apple and then 2 months later see that it has been upgraded. I just finished reading an article talking about in late September or early October that the MacBooks would be seeing an update. Which they claim is reduce it to 1/2 of the current thickness. I'm so confused.
  7. kwood macrumors 6502a


    Jun 26, 2006
    In the Great White North.
    You do realize the MacBook and MacBook Pro are already really small anyway, right?
  8. drake macrumors 6502a


    Jul 5, 2005
    if they do too much, you'll have a rev. A machine will all that goes with it. And if its too thin, you'll have heat issues to deal with.
  9. nfable macrumors regular


    Apr 9, 2007
    Poop, or off the toilet...

    Don't bother anticipating buyer's remorse, I'll help you out: yes a new, better one is coming out sooner than you'd think. And then another. And a slightly better one, at that.

    Buy refurb to defray some of the cost (I saved 20%)

    Bought mine literally the NIGHT BEFORE the last bump in MBPs was introduced. Spent about 30 seconds thinking 'shucks, now I'll have a screamer that's one decibel lower than this new screamer the just released'

    Then I got it via FedEX. And: so sweet; you care so little about that bump in generation you just missed once you're blazing on your own very awesome machine.

    And if you do find yourself full of regret and hating yourself for not holding out, than nothing anyone can tell you here will help the deeper problems you possess. I mean really, how spoiled are we? Once you realize this, breathe and release then all will be good and you will embrace sweet nirvana hand in hand with your dandy Mac (even isn't if it's the jim-dandiest latest model)
  10. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    You should buy soon, as you can get a free iPod and printer (you said college no?)
    No point in waiting, as you'll need a computer in college. However, if you can stand your dell a little longer, you could buy later on in the year, though you will miss out on the free iPod. Personally, I would buy the macbook soon if I was in your position (although I'm a fan of the pro, so that's my personal recommendation).
    Either way, the current macbook will be good for about three years at the very least. I assume you're just doing simple things right? No special programs for college? If your major requires something unique, the pro might be better at handling such programs.
  11. jhranicky88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 1, 2007
    After reading all the comments and thinking about it throughly, I have decided to wait and buy a MacBook when Leopard is released on it. I think by then they might have the updated model out and maybe the new iLife released. I can put up with my DELL for a few more months, which I will probably take Vista off and re-install XP. Also, as a side question, I think I read the new SR chips have a 800MHz FSB. Do they have RAM out yet that supports 800MHz?
  12. phalewhale macrumors 6502a


    Jun 10, 2007
    Leopard AND a Rev. A? Doubtful...

    From what I've read around these boards, it seems doubtful that Leopard would be released on a brand new i.e. Rev A model. You may be right in that the macbooks will be updated with a faster chip etc or come down in price but a completely revamped macbook is not on the cards until next year for me.

    The iMac, macmini (if it's still around), and Mac Pro will most likely be given priority over a new macbook model.

    I just got a new macbook (top end white model) last night. It is absolutely fantastic. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed, especially given the fact that you've been using VISTA on a dell. VISTA has to be the most disappointing OS ever released. Any OS that can't copy/move/delete without taking forever is not worth p****** on to be frank. See here
  13. RedTomato macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    buy a student/ refurb macbook now (or very soon). You need time to learn how to use it, and to get everything setup (including installing XP) before college starts.

    Trust me, time is money here. Make the most of this summer with your lovely new laptop.
  14. seany916 macrumors 6502

    Jun 26, 2006
    Southern California
    Don't get a Macbook. Pay the extra bucks and get a Macbook Pro.

    Cost more? Yes. Better build, look, feel, and function? Yes.

  15. paddy macrumors 6502a


    Jun 25, 2005
    Only thing is if you start playing the waiting game you're going to be waiting quite a while as there's always something better around the corner. Bite the bullet now I'd say. I did and I don't regret it.
  16. zioxide macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2006
    you waiting people are so ridiculous..

    "ZOMG!!!1!!!1111elevenone!! I DONT WANNA BUY A LAPTOP ONLY FOR A NEW MODEL TO COME OUT IN A FEW MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!111!111 WHAT SHOULD I DO????????????????????????"

    That's how technology works. **** gets updated frequently. Just buy now and enjoy it.

    The earliest you're going to see an update to the Macbooks is probably November, and it's not going to have Penryn chips or anything.. just Crestline and maybe LED backlighting.

    Just buy it now. Take advantage of your student discount and get the free iPod. (If you already have one, then sell it)
  17. bocomo macrumors 6502

    Jun 29, 2007
    New York
    just buy it

    get what you want and get rid of windows/vista madness.

    like the other poster said, you need time to get used to it and set everything up.

    i waited/worried over the mac pro update in april and all for naught. the day the octo core was announced i went out and got my four core. could have gotten it two weeks earlier but was too worried

    just get it - you will love it
  18. mwxiao macrumors regular

    Jul 5, 2007
    MacBook Pro is almost twice the price of MacBook. It's not just extra bucks...
  19. drake macrumors 6502a


    Jul 5, 2005
    If "technology is updated frequently" why is it we have to wait till Nov. before we see an update on the Macbook?
  20. jhranicky88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 1, 2007
    No, I have made my decision. I just have a feeling that this next update of the MacBooks is going to be a pretty darn good one. I just really want to get my hands on a Centrino Pro and LED Backlight notebook without having to pay $2000. I can put up with DELL and Vista (probably XP in a few days) for a little bit longer.
  21. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    Well the thing is, then you'll say that the update after this upcoming macbook update will have even more stuff. If you're willing to buy a Vista computer, then maybe you need help. 512MB of RAM devoted to just the OS running? You've got to be kidding me.

    You'll probably get the processor and the LED screen in the next update, but like I said, then you'll start to say that you'll buy after they come with Flash HDs and the next generation processor. You can keep playing this game, but ultimately your decision should be based on your current needs. If you're going to go out and buy a new Vista Dell, then you should change course and get a macbook now. There's really no good point in waiting any more if you need it. If your current computer is ok for now, then wait.
  22. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    There are updates every so often, and while the May updates may not have been the greatest, the macbooks have had a fair update cycle. They were introduced in May of 2006, and then in November, they got C2D and more RAM/HD capacity. And now, they recieved even more stuff. When you think about the fact that a computer can last for 2-3 years (and Macs even more), a 6 month update cycle is pretty short.
    And by the way, us MBP owners got all the stuff you macbook owners wanted six months earlier:D
  23. drake macrumors 6502a


    Jul 5, 2005
    Updates are far more frequent in the PC world. The day something new comes out, you can buy it. With Macs, you have to wait for the next cycle and even then, you might not get it.
  24. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    Updates aren't as frequent as you think. Most PC makers have a few top-of-the-line models, and then they drop prices on their lower end models. What you have to remember with Apple, is that it has rigid price points and a fairly consistent update cycles. This means that when a product is updated, it is a very, very good value for its price. Try doing a price comparison now with the base mbp and an equal PC laptop. You'll find that the mbp is still the same or below in price.

Share This Page