Buying a MacBook ... education discount ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mitch92uK, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mitch92uK macrumors newbie

hey guys :) first post =D

First off I'm 16

Ok so I need a notebook for school, 6th form which I start in September and I've been drawn in by the MacBooks.

I have around .. ~£850 MAX, preferably less, to spend but have a few questions. I am in the Uk also :)

I need the notebook for portability, looks, battery, not too fussed about specs as I hear OSX runs welll on all macbooks.

I am a "student" as such I will have finished my compulsory education and will be going into 6th form, for 2 years, before starting Uni.

I wanted to know how eligible I am to take up the "Education Discount", as, if I am, I could comfortably buy the best specification black MacBook, which would be great!

Many thanks guys

mitch

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I would think you are eligible however the terms and conditions aren't exactly clear, depends on the what is defined as Higher Education.

Your best bet is to call them (0800 039 1010) and ask. Only open Mondays-Fridays though.

With the terms and conditions here

3. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I don't know about UK, but when I was also 16, I remember buying my iPod with educational discount on the Canadian store without problems....

4. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Of course OS X runs great on all MacBooks, Apple makes OS X, as well as they make MacBooks.. It runs great on just about any Mac up to 7 years ago.

If you go to an Apple store, I don't believe that you are going to quality for the student discount. I think that it is only college students that get that discount. However, if you want to be dishonest, you can buy online and get the student discount.

Without the student discount, I suggest getting the 2.4GHz 160GB White MacBook. It will work great and you won't have to bust open your piggy bank for it.

Good luck with the student discount though. Apple may never know, but can you live with yourself :eek:

5. Mitch92uK thread starter macrumors newbie

6. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

You have to be at the sixth form at the time of purchase as they ask for student ID and post code of the institute in apple stores. They check the post code on the system to see if your institute is listed for discount. If its not listed, you can still get discount but not as much as if the place was listed.

An example is on a macbook, the college i went to is listed so I'd get about 10% discount but if it werent listed it'd be about 6%. The discount varies on each computer.

I used to work in an apple store (left in january) and thats the way things worked

7. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

Education store is really for teachers/tutors etc at secondary or lower schools.
    Further education for college/sixth form students but must really be purchased by parents on behalf of student as long as they have a form of id.
    Higher education for Uni students who can purcahse stuff themself as long as they have id.

Do you have any kind of acceptance letter or something to can obtain that shows you will be going to sixth form? They accept that too sometimes

8. Mitch92uK thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, cheers R1, and yeah, it'd be no problem getting some sort of proof

So I couldn't purchase through the higher education store?

9. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

You can give it a go, they can bend the rules sometimes.

If you order online, they dont check every order anyway. It's only really in stores that they do.

10. Mitch92uK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again guys

Ok, so I just rang a sales rep and asked about my eligibility to buy from the education store, and got a "No." Apparently despite the fact that I will have finished my compulsory education and will be going into "Further?" Education I am not eligibile for the discount until I'm 18. I was told to check the refurbs ... tbh there's nothing I can see on the refurbs that appeals .. it's gotta be real cheap or brand new imo.

So ... what do I do now?

my mum's a classroom assistant ... does that count for education? ORdering in her name?

cheers

11. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

There you go! You can order it under her name to get the student discount.:rolleyes:

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

Your mum will able to get it with the discount, no problem.

Until you’re 18, you can’t buy from the Education store but need to get a parent/teacher to do it for you. Generally, I would say that from various feedback I’ve heard, the support for education sales can be rather confusing – for example, there was a very good thread about the HE discount, which a number of people asked the same questions about it and there were an even greater number of different answers!

Kind of... in the UK, the Apple Store for Further Education is phone only and basically the same as the Apple Store for Education, which is online and the following people can buy from:

- a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment
    - a student aged 18 and over with a valid student card, attending, or accepted into, a UK education establishment
    - a parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into a UK Higher or Further Education establishment

The Apple Store for Higher Education is for students and academic staff at instiutions who have signed up to Apple's National Higher Education Agreement - this isn't exclusively universities.

Although it is mainly universities who make up the bulk of the institutions who are with the National Higher Education Agreement, there are other institutions, like drama colleges, art schools, FE colleges, 6th Form colleges and city academies (such as Bristol).

Although the OP is likely to be able to benefit from the latter, it's worth checking.

13. Mitch92uK thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought it was odd that colleges/6th form students are between 16-18 and you must be 18+ to order .. generally by the time someone's 18 they'll be at uni (if still in education of course)

Is it too risky just to bite the bullet and order, hoping they don't check? I've read loads of stuff while researching about people having used the HE store for years and never been checked .... what's the worst that could happen?