buying a macbook...help please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eng.chick, Oct 17, 2007.

1. eng.chick macrumors newbie

hi guys,
    i have always used pc, and after talking to a few friends i decided to upgrade my current ****** Dell laptop to a Mac book...now i got a few questions

1- is it really hard for someone who always used pc to learn to work with mac?
    2- new mac o.s is coming on 26th , does that mean if i go to store on 27th i can buy a mac with pre-installed leopard?
    3- does it worth waiting for leopard?
    thanks
    Y.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1. no
    2. yes, probably
    3. yes

PS New MacBooks probably within the next month or so.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

1. No, I trust the rule: After five minutes you'll be up and running, using the internet, making documents etc.

After three days, you will have the basics down, installing apps, keyboard combos etc.

After two weeks you'll be flying, and giving advice to new Mac users here :)

Personally, I found it very easy to switch, as did my dad, brother, sister, uncle and grandad.

2. Yes. If you buy now you can apply for a $9.95 upgrade to Leopard.

3. It depends how much you want the laptop now; if you buy now you have the small hassle of reinstalling the OS, but if you wait you get a fresh install of Leopard with no backing up etc.

P.S. I don't think new Macbooks will come out that soon

4. koayt47 macrumors newbie

Go for it! You won't look back.

1. You'll be online and opening documents right out of the box. I had a few fleeting moments of frustration figuring out how certain things were done, but nothing Google couldn't resolve. And the forums are a good place to start.

2. Maybe. Or you'll get a free upgrade. Which means you'll have the discs to Leopard and Tiger.

3. I'd get one now and upgrade/install Leopard after the reviews are out. Then you will appreciate the new features of Leopard and know what to expect :)

5. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

With respect to the transition from Windows to OS X, I can honestly recommend checking out David Pogue's excellent "Switching To The Mac: The Missing Manual" books. There's a Leopard version coming out in December but the current Tiger edition of the book will cover the basics (there's a book "The Missing Manual: Leopard Edition" coming out at the end of the month but this doesn't assume a switch from Windows) and they are quite an entertaining read. I personally found the book invaluable when I switched from XP to OS X 10.2 about 4-years ago since there are some odd things.

Best of luck - it's quite a fun learning experience but one nonetheless.