Buying a Macbook in London

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2xMcK, Dec 25, 2008.

1. 2xMcK macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for a while but this is my first post.

I'm from Spain, and I'm going to London in January, so I'd like to take the chance and buy a brand new macbook because of the lower prices.

I plan to buy the 2.4ghz in the Apple Store of Regenta Street, and I'd like to know if they will be able to upgrade the memory to 4gb, and if it is possible to buy one with spanish keyboard layout / power plug.

Thanks.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

No I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to buy one with spanish keys and a european power plug, sorry. Although you could possibly get one even cheaper at dixons tax free - depending on which airport you fly back to spain from. Enjoy your visit!

3. macmike22 macrumors regular

would you be apple to call apple uk to make sure they have your spanish keyboard in etc?
    they should be able to do your ram there although it will be expensive.

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

It actually is fairly competetive on the new DDR3 ram macbooks, hasn't been in the past though. But as you say, wherever you choose to buy from give them a call first!

5. 2xMcK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fast responses :)

I was assuming that I won't be able to get the spanish layout... but anyway the price difference worths it. Does anybody know how much is the RAM upgrade there?

By the way, is Dixons Tax Free reliable? I mean, the warranty... a replacement in case I have any problem, or anything not working... I don't feel confident enough unless I get positive feedback.

Thanks again.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you get 4GB memory, it costs like 160-170 bucks? That is USD and not euro or pound.

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

The 1 year warranty that you get is with apple and is worldwide - so you can use it anywhere. If you buy more applecare (which you can do in any country for any time during the first year of warranty) it adds another 3 years to your apple warranty. So if your mac broke under warranty you could send it to apple in spain and they'd send you a new one!

Hope this is useful.

For the new macbook, it seemed to me that apple's price was £100 and crucial.com's price was £95. So not so much difference on the new one.

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

You'll be much better off sticking with Regent's Street.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

And paying £150 extra for the privilege.......

Order from Dixon's Tax Free and collect it at the airport on the way home.