Buying a Macbook in Washington, cant wait :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mateuszi, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mateuszi macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, my first post on this forum. Im so glad i found this place. :)

In two weeks i will be coming to the USA for the first time, for vacation. I always wanted to have a laptop from Apple, and ive decided that i will get the macbook. And hopefully stop using the pc altogether. :)

There are a few issues, that i want to ask about.

I want to buy the white 2,4GHz, 2G, 160GB hard drive (apple online shop has the price of 1299USD)

Also i will need to get a few extras like Iwork08, Airport Express, and some kind of a case (neoprane maybe).

I checked the prices on the Apple website and at least according to the online shop it should be around 1512USD.

Just to give you an idea how much more expensive it is where i live - this setup, with the extras would cost me about 2350USD if not more.

My first question is, which apple store is good in Washington? I wont have a car there, so i will have to take the subway. From what i see on googlemap ;) the Pentagon City apple store is close to a station, also the clarendon store isnt to far i think.

I guess i could buy slightly cheaper from an online retailer, or maybe even some other shop, but i prefer to pay the extra few dollars and get everything from the apple store.

Also is it safe to travel on the subway with such a new purchase? ;) I know its a silly question, but where im from, you probably wouldnt make it to far carrying a macbook box.

I dont want to make this post to long, so the few other questions regarding this purchase will be asked later on.

I hope i wrote this more or less clear, english in not my first language, sorry. :)

2. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Another question, hope i can get help with this one. :)

Is there any difference in price between the apple online store, and normal apple stores?

Online it says the macbook sells for 1299 is that gonna be the price at the physical apple store as well?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

One thing you may not realize is that all prices in the US are quoted before sales tax, so the actual cost will be what you see plus the appropriate sales tax.

Pentagon City is in the state of Virginia, which has a sales tax of 5%, so you'll need to add that to figure out what it'll actually cost you.

4. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i didnt know that. So its only 5%, here its 22% ;)

I just hope they dont sell out the configuration that i want before next monday. :D

5. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

One more thing that i can not make up my mind on.

Should i get the iwork08 or the office pack for apple?

Theoretically, i basically use the word application on my current computer. I never use excel, and power point only on occassion.

At first i wanted to get iwork08, to be able to use "pages", but i would be saving pretty much all my work as doc documents, since they would later have to be used by others on pc. I read online that it usually works fine, and its no problem with opening and editing such documents on pc. I read there are some tiny problems with for example tables within a document, that is when you open a document under windows, which was initially created in pages.

Any thoughts?

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

For you, I would use iWork simply b/c it's faster to load and you dont need all the features in Office. Those small glitches won't bother you much I think.

7. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, ill go for Iwork, and then if i would have any problems ill consider the office pack.

One more thing that came to my mind.

Does anyone know if the warranty on the macbook is a worldwide one? Or is it only USA?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

AppleCare has worldwide coverage. The one year warranty is good wherever you go. If you'd like to take advantage of the weak US dollar, it would be wise to buy the extended plan (if you plan to do that) there.

9. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told in the local ispot (i guess not the same as an apple store?) that apple care is not honured in my country because they lack the infrastructure to carry out the repairs etc.

They told me that they do have some other kind of warranty that i can buy extra.

10. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

Well just wanted to report that i bought eveything i planned. The macbook works perfectly and im very happy with it. :)

I set up the wireless network at home (not without small problems) but everything seems to work just fine now.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Awesome, glad to hear that you liked it, welcome to the world of Mac :)

What country are you from by the way (just curious)?

12. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Poland right now.

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Wow, congratulations on your purchase, and it's been interesting reading your story :p

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Consider rsellers like Amazon and Macmall. You can save the sales tax
    and get up to $75 rebates too.

15. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of Mac; I hope you have a great time with your MB. What warranty did you get in the end? I am surprised that Apple said the infrastructure in Poland would not support Applecare. When I first visited Poland in the mid 1990s, I was surprised and impressed at the degree of computer literacy, and computer skills which seemed to exist throughout the country, even in seemingly remote places. In any case, I assume you have the standard one year warranty. Did you get iWork or Office?

Anyway, I know Poland pretty well and like it a lot. Good luck.
    Cheers

17. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I'm considering buying my first Mac soon, as well. Since I will probably buy a Macbook, should I wait for the new ones?

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's up to you, if you'd like to get one now and you feel it will do what you need to do and you want to get the iPod, feel free, otherwise, wait.

19. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the standard one year warranty. I did not buy apple care, but i will consider getting the extra warranty that the local ispot offers. Im not sure how it exactly differs from the standard apple care but i will find out.

I got iWork im not sure if i will be getting Office. So far ive been doing my work with the help of iWork08 and everything seems to be just fine. :)

Im still learning something new about the macbook everyday, now im looking for extra applications (preferably free ;) ) to make life even easier. ;)

20. mdgolom macrumors 6502

The prices are the same if you buy from Apple.com or the Apple Store. For the most part, the Metro subway system is safe where the Crystal City store is located, so I don't think you're going to have a problem. If they're out of the specific model you're looking for, you can try the Tysons Corner store which is the largest store in the DC area, but it would involve a short cab ride from a Metro Station.

Enjoy your trip (and computer)!

21. mateuszi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I already came back from the trip. :)

Btw Washington was great.