Buying a Macbook off Craigslist, anything I should test?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveSchneid, Jul 30, 2008.

1. DaveSchneid macrumors newbie

I'm buying a macbook off Craigslist tonight, and while I dont think the guy is trying to rip me off, as he's doing a fresh install and he's not a kid, but you never know. Aside from just watching the computer boot up, is there anything else I should look for, test, or ask about before I hand over the cash. (I'm new to the mac thing, and suspect I'll be here often once I start trying to figure out OSX)

By the way I'm getting a 2.0 Duel Core with 2 Gigs of RAM for 700$. Only an 80 GB HDD but I dont care as I'd be upgrading to 320 no matter if I got it new or not. This seemed like a fair price to me, anyone think it's a bad idea?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Make sure you exchange in person in a well populated placed.

And do these tests during the exchange; check for screen issues, keyboard, touchpad, scratches; somethings can be overlooked if he has warranty left; make sure you check for liquid damage even if the machine works well.

I guess the price is okay if the machine is good.

3. cpjrmd macrumors newbie

May seem kind of obvious, but I would use "About This Mac" to make sure that you're getting everything you're paying for.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Check the About this Mac, look for physical damage, Open Disk Utility and make sure the hard drive's SMART status is "Verified". Other than that if the computer works, then it's fine.

5. DaveSchneid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise, typing this from the new macbook right now. It's in great shape, and running smooth. Now I just have to buy a new hard drive. On a side note, any chance my friends leopard restore disk for his new macbook would work on this Rev B model?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your seller should give you the Restore DVDs. He has to. It's part of the OS X license agreement.

7. DaveSchneid thread starter macrumors newbie

8. vniow macrumors G4

Not likely. The newer restore discs (from 10.4 up I believe) have a bit of code that prevents it from being installed on anything except that model of computer. It uses the model identifier such as "Macbook 2,1" (which you can find out in System Profile) to restrict it to that specific model. Its easy to get around but that requires some knowledge on OS X internals, an external HD or a blank DVD.

Oh, and its against the licence agreement too. Not that I would advocate or have experience in circumventing. Buy yer own copy of 10.5 says me.

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

I bought an iMac G5 with Panther and it's restore disks only work with it. The same is true with my G4.

10. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Make sure the drive can read and eject a CD and DVD.

11. fov86 macrumors newbie

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

no such thing as craigslist insurance.
    A sealed box could be full of rocks. definitely a scam.