Buying a MacBook pro 13inch on ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Johny24max, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Johny24max macrumors newbie

I deciding whether to buy a macbook pro 13 inch brand new on ebay or a refurbished on apple. Also considering buying a Used one on ebay too.The one on ebay is cheaper by 20 dollars and its new but however the one on apple is refurbished and I get taxed so. So what should i do guys?

Also I was pondering how does applecare work does it work on new bought mac bought on ebay?
    Here is the listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180416645830&_trkparms=tab=Watching
    Good reviews and looks legit.

If I do go ebay route what would I look for when buying a Mac on ebay used or new?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

moot point, since I just clicked on the link and it says it;s ended.
    I'd buy from Apple as I'm skeptical of anything on eBay.

3. Johny24max thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea weird did someone buy it ?? anyways don't know how ebay works. I used to love living in NH or Even ordering online before NY mandated all stores to have taxes on stuff even from other states :/ oh well...

4. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I wouldn't be too worried about buying one on ebay, just check their feedback and make sure you look completely through the description and pictures. I just purchased my first mac(got a white macbook) on ebay about 1-2 months ago and it looks and feels brand new(even though it was used), and everything works great.

5. saturnino3 macrumors member

I've been using eBay for 7 years now and even though there are less deals now and the fees for even a casual seller are outrageous, I love it.

In the OP's case, I would have checked the seller's feedback, asked for a couple of personalized pictures and checked if PayPal covered the entire purchase if the seller flaked out. I would ask that such an expensive item be sent fully insured (I bought a MacBook recently that was lost by UPS and not insured-- thankfully the seller was unresponsive after he realized his mistake -- PayPal refunded me).

I think you need to be rational on eBay. A MacBook Pro 17" with 8GB for a buy it now for $1,200 USD? Fraud. A used MacBook 13 with real pictures, a scratch, etc. going for $500 USD with 1 day left? A potential bargain.

I feel that eBay and PayPal protect the buyer quite well. I would link my credit card to my PayPal and pay using my credit card. That way if PayPal refuses for any reason to refund me, my credit card will refund me.

I love buying small things like phone cases, RAM for my MacBook, random shoes, etc.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I've personally been screwed twice by scammers on eBay so I'd go with apple. My credit card saved me twice on $3000. I use eBay for smaller items like iPod nanos for 50% off retail. Honestly it's not worth the headache after you've been screwed twice to save money on a laptop. Plus they're usually something minor wrong that they have not disclosed despite their good feedback.

7. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

As in singular ones!?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I would never buy something that expensive on ebay. I'd rather pay the extra and tax by going through Apple.

9. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Yeah, I think of the extra as a piece of mind as well as something completely new. That way you know it hasn't been dropped, shaken, or abused in any way. Plus that one year of applecare is full!

10. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Rule #1 for buying online - if u r not comfortable doing it, dont do it.