Buying a Macbook Pro 15 but going on holiday soon...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snazy20, Jun 16, 2011.

1. snazy20 macrumors newbie

A bit of background info first.

I've been deciding between new MBA or MBP for a while, but decided the power will be better for me than the portability, and the pro still looks good. Anyway, the next thing I was waiting for was the BTS promotion, which is now on, and I'm a student till the end of June, so I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet next week a fork out out £1,500 (hi res screen I'm thinking).

However, on the 16th July, I'm going on holiday for 5 weeks, and I won't need a laptop, so it will stay home and not be used by anyone. I'm not in urgent need of one, but want to upgrade, and have the money at the mo to do so. I was wondering whether leaving the laptop alone for 5 weeks might have a long term effect on battery life, after using it for only a few weeks before (but starting the battery life cycle...)? Or may there be any problems?

Would there be ways to avoid any possible problems, or are the MBP's that good, that I shouldn't even think about it?

Just looking for a bit of past experience from you guys, and whether I should go and get it, or hold on to July 16th (when I won't care about laptops for 5 weeks) and get it on return...

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its just 5 weeks, you'll have a warranty if you have issues. Buy now and get the $100 card.

3. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had a chat to a few of the guys at the apple store, and explained to them the 'situation'. They said the same, and I'll buy it through student discount with £60 for 3 years worth of apple care, so IF anything happened, it will be covered anyway.

Thanks for your reply, I'll just leave it unplugged and switched off before I go, and I'll start enjoying my first mac this weekend possibly!

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you buy it from your university site you get 3 years apple care with out phone support.

5. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I log on to the apple education store from my university's internet connection?

Will it still be the 15% discount too? At the moment it works out to £1376 inc apple care, and £1316 without apple care. Would be good to get apple care for £1316 by just ordering online!

Thanks for the post!

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Where are you going on holiday? If it is to the U.S., buy the laptop there. No 20% VAT and it's a lot less money to buy there. £1,500 is nearly $2500!!! :eek:

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

There you go, just logged into my uni and looked at the store and here is a screen shot. You get 1 years phone support and 3 years hardware support included and this is on included in the price.

Attached Files:

8. lesyork macrumors member

Plus you can upgrade to 3-year phone support as well for £60 (EMEA uplift or something like that), but it has to be done when you purchase the machine, you can't tack it on after.

9. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for doing that! Unfortunately I'm off-campus at the mo..not in till Monday, but might have to put my order in over the weekend sometime!

Just to clarify, that is like the normal apple care that I would pay £60 for in-store, except for the 2nd and 3rd year phone support? So if, for example, I had a battery problem after 2.5 years, with this warranty/apple care, I'd still get it sorted without paying.

Appreciate your posts dude!

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yes this is correct, hence I have not bothered with it as if I want something fixed I pop into an apple store. Also you will get an email after about 12 weeks saying your machine has been enrolled. So don't worry if you check and it initially does not show apple care.

11. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers buddy!

I'll pull the trigger on Monday when I'm at university then :) a nice tidy saving, and I'll finally be joining the Mac family.

Any further comments regarding leaving the laptop off for 5 weeks? Or i was silly to even think such a thing?

12. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, i just pulled the trigger, and £1,430 later I'm soon to be the owner of a Hi Res AG Macbook pro 15 inch!

Got an estimated delivery of before 1st july, but hope its sometime this week! Small price to pay, as the AG screen should be worth the wait!

Thanks for the help guys and esp the tip about logging in from campus (which i did :))