Buying a macbook Pro 2011 In the USA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noogaz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Noogaz macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Im about to go to Cambridge Boston via NYC on the 23rd of march for work and I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro there. I've never been to the USA before and was wondering how sales tax works in the USA. Is it included in to the advertised price or not? Also how much is sales tax in either NYC or cambridge?

Also, can I get a low end 15 with a high def screen at the bricks and mortar apple store or do I have to order over the apple website? Or can I just call ahead and get them to order it in for me to pick up?

If I have to order the laptop online, can I buy it with an international credit card and get it delivered to my hotel room?

any information on this matter would be appreciated

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

The price advertised does NOT include tax. So it will be $1799 USD + Tax which is around 8%. They will not have the High-Res in that model in stores. To get that you need to get the high end 15" 2.3 GHz with anti-glare.

3. kuck macrumors newbie

Hi,
    As far as I know, there is different sales tax in each state, but it is roughly the same. If you google it you will find the rates.

As per online order, you don´t pay any online tax. I have regularly something delivered to my hotel room from Amazon. Usually works fine when you talk to the hotel staff beforehand.

I am not sure what happens if you order online for in-store pickup.

best regards,

kuck

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why do you live in a Hotel?

5. Noogaz thread starter macrumors newbie

i will be in a hotel when during my stay in the USA

6. Noogaz thread starter macrumors newbie

when you buy it on amazon do you pay tax on it???

7. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

no, you don't need to pay tax for orders on Amazon.
    but you have to time it right, otherwise you might miss the shipment.

8. Noogaz thread starter macrumors newbie

how about using an international credit card on the apple website and sending it to my hotel is that ok to do?

9. shawmanus macrumors member

New Hampshire has no sales tax. Go to Salem or Nashua and buy it to save tax :)

Or You can use Amazon to save tax.

10. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

you might want to get a non-BTO. keep in mind these computers arent shipping from the US, they are shipping from china, so depending how long you're in the states, you may not get it in time.

11. polkunus macrumors member

I don't know about other sites, but in Cali I have to pay ONLINE sales tax... :/